The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Chief

Because the feature of TRAID+ is not final ready, it has not been released to current TOS versions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Chief
TMroy wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 10:12 Because the feature of TRAID+ is not final ready, it has not been released to current TOS versions.
Appreciate the info! Please consider this a request for the feature, when it becomes available: That it should be possible to migrate to TRAID+ an existing TRAID array, provided it has the appropriate number of drives, and sufficient free space available to accomodate whatever additional data/parity is required to support two-drive failure redundancy protection. Thanks!
slimdusty

Post by slimdusty »

I ordered the F4-423 NAS yesterday (haven't received it yet), but have a question regarding TRAID rebuild.

I realise the recommendation for replacement of a failed drive is to replace it with another drive of at least the same capacity (in case of drive failure, or just replacement I presume), but would the following scenario work:

I have 2 x 16TB and 2 x 8TB drives in my F4-423 NAS set to RAID 5, which gives me ~32TB of total capacity, but I only have say 18-20TB of data stored in it so far. If I then replace one of the 16TB drive (not necessarily if it fails) with another 8TB drive, my total capacity of this RAID 5 set up will still be ~ 24TB, which is still well over the amount of data currently in my NAS.

This would work with my old Drobo, but not sure if the same goes with TRAID.

Thanks in advance.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

slimdusty wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 16:20 I realise the recommendation for replacement of a failed drive is to replace it with another drive of at least the same capacity (in case of drive failure, or just replacement I presume), but would the following scenario work:

I have 2 x 16TB and 2 x 8TB drives in my F4-423 NAS set to RAID 5, which gives me ~32TB of total capacity, but I only have say 18-20TB of data stored in it so far. If I then replace one of the 16TB drive (not necessarily if it fails) with another 8TB drive, my total capacity of this RAID 5 set up will still be ~ 24TB, which is still well over the amount of data currently in my NAS.
Using 2 x 16TB and 2 x 8TB HDDs to build RAID 5, the available space is 24TB instead of 32TB.
If you use them to build TRAID, the available space is 32TB.
If the 16TB hard drive in TRAID is damaged, you need to replace it with a hard drive of the same brand equal to or greater than 16TB.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
slimdusty

Post by slimdusty »

Thank you for your reply. I confused TRAID with RAID 5, as both of them give protection of 1 drive failure.
I do mean setting up as TRAID instead of RAID 5, which would give me 32TB.
OK, looks like I have to invest in a spare 16TB drive then in case of drive failure with my arrangement.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The previous article explains very well the difference between TRAID and RAID 5. with TARID, you can mix different sizes of drives to achieve much bigger storage space.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
timber

Post by timber »

Will this automatically also increase the volume size or do I need to do something else if I increase the array size by replacing a disk with a larger one?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

timber wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 04:28 Will this automatically also increase the volume size or do I need to do something else if I increase the array size by replacing a disk with a larger one?
When RAID synchronization is completed, you need to edit the volume to expand the capacity of the volume.
Instructions for Online RAID Expansion
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
timber

Post by timber »

TMSupport wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 14:52
timber wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 04:28 Will this automatically also increase the volume size or do I need to do something else if I increase the array size by replacing a disk with a larger one?
When RAID synchronization is completed, you need to edit the volume to expand the capacity of the volume.
I guess something feels off....

How do I calculate the capacity of a TRAID manually?

I'm asking because I started off with 5 5TB drives in TRAID which gave me a capacity of about 18TB (capacity seemed to be closer to RAID 5's N-1).

I replaced one of the 5TB with a 14TB drive, followed the instructions and repaired RAID, and I do not see any extra capacity or free space to grow the volume. Ultimately I was going to go through this process over and over till I replaced all 5 drives over the next couple of months.
timber

Post by timber »

timber wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 22:05
TMSupport wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 14:52
I guess something feels off....

How do I calculate the capacity of a TRAID manually?

I'm asking because I started off with 5 5TB drives in TRAID which gave me a capacity of about 18TB (capacity seemed to be closer to RAID 5's N-1).

I replaced one of the 5TB with a 14TB drive, followed the instructions and repaired RAID, and I do not see any extra capacity or free space to grow the volume. Ultimately I was going to go through this process over and over till I replaced all 5 drives over the next couple of months.
And to be clear I followed this:

How to expand the storage space of TRAID?
After the TRAID is formed, you can expand the storage space through the following 2 methods.

1. Replace the hard drive with a larger capacity
Note: Replace only one hard drive at a time, and make sure that the newly added hard drive meets the requirements.
Operation method: Keep the TNAS powered on, remove one of the drives, and insert a larger capacity drive, go to Control Panel > Storage Management > Storage Pool > Edit, and select "Repair". After the array is repaired, use the same method to replace other hard drives.