TOS application, TNAS PC, TNAS mobile
sacbutt

Re: Plex fails to start?

Post by sacbutt »

TMSupport wrote:
> {L_BUTTON_AT}sacbutt
<
Yes, I have now tried that.

I can get up to step 3A but can't complete it as I don't understand how to action the instructions.

I get to here in the putty black screen:

"End of keyboard-interactive prompts from server
Welcome to TNAS
-bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
(my name)@(my NAS's name):~$ ^C "

and then nothing.
Plex is still not connecting, no prompts in the black screen for what to do now.

So, 2 questions
- What do I type in or do to follow the second part " then switch to the highest root authority with the same password" ?
I don't know what is the 'highest root authority' is (even after googling it). Is it the password for my laptop?

- Also - "-bash: ulimit:" etc message is given in the MAC example (steps 2A / 2B), but mine is a windows laptop, I don't know why my black screen text doesn't look like the examples in steps 3A / 3B. How do I interpret this?

Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sacbutt
Enter the following command to switch to the root user.

Code: Select all

sudo -i
Then enter the administrator's password.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
willavery

Post by willavery »

I am having massive issues reinstalling Plex. It worked for a minute, but the crashed and nothing I can do (following all the instructions in this thread) have fixed it.

>Login to the SSH terminal as admin (or whatever your admin username is) and run:
>sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex status

>Output is always:
>PlexMediaServer stopped

>Then I run:
>sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex start

I tried this (though the TOS installed Plex into the md1 section). Then I tried to restart, and got "/mnt/md0/User/plex: No such file or directory"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Plex multiple times. I have uninstalled, gone through and manually deleted the plex user and files, restarted, reinstalled, and still nothing. Obviously, there's some issue but I cannot fix it for the life of me.
willavery

Post by willavery »

willavery wrote:
> I am having massive issues reinstalling Plex. It worked for a minute, but the crashed
> and nothing I can do (following all the instructions in this thread) have fixed it.
>
> >Login to the SSH terminal as admin (or whatever your admin username is) and run:
> >sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex status
>
> >Output is always:
> >PlexMediaServer stopped
>
> >Then I run:
> >sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex start
>
> I tried this (though the TOS installed Plex into the md1 section). Then I tried to
> restart, and got "/mnt/md0/User/plex: No such file or directory"
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled Plex multiple times. I have uninstalled, gone
> through and manually deleted the plex user and files, restarted, reinstalled, and
> still nothing. Obviously, there's some issue but I cannot fix it for the life of me.

I have figured out what the problem is, but I do not know how to fix it. Inspecting my Users folder in md1 gets me this for the Plex user folder:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jun 21 20:57 plex -> /mnt/md0/User/plex

Which I understand means it's a symbolic link to the md0/User/plex folder. Only there is NOTHING in md0. The whole folder is empty, even logged in as root.
Reeceydoodle

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Alright, for those who are still experiencing issues like me.

Situation: Power cut, UPS kicked in, NAS went into safe mode. Once power restored, NAS failed to boot. Re-installed OS, data was available but no apps were listed. Everything reinstalled but Plex wouldn't appear on the desktop and failed to start. Tried everything here and it did not work.

Requirements: SSH and root privilage

Solution:
Uninstall plex via web GUI
SSH to your NAS and type sudo bash (you'll need sudo for the most part)
Next, browse to use users folder (cd /mnt/md0/Users) and type mv plex plex1 - this essentially renames the folder so you keep your database info
Browse to the packages folder (cd /mnt/md0/applications/pkgs)
Type the following 3 lines:
rm -r plex
rm plex.tpk
deluser plex

If you have multiple drives, ensure that the folder for plex is removed from the users folder on each drive (or rename to plex1 like above)

Reboot

Install Plex - this should now appear on your desktop, if it does, the process has worked
Stop Plex from web GUI
SSH to NAS and type sudo bash
Type the following 3 lines:
cd /mnt/md0/User
rm -r plex
mv plex1 plex

Return to the web GUI and start Plex - test on your other devices, Plex should now work
Hello!
I'm new to the forums, not new to TNAS, I recently figured the command line out and so will be exploring ways to troubleshoot / resolve some problems I've experienced in effort to help others in the same situation.

Hopefully I can help!
jimmie

Post by jimmie »

Thank you so much, I search whole forum and website, this solution is the most relevent and right to resolve the problem , thanks. :D :D
Feyd

Post by Feyd »

I've tried all the troubleshooting steps within this thread (and several other threads) to resolve my plex "operation failed!" error when I click enable.

The SSH commands above return a message of "No such file or directory". Does this only work for TOS 4?

I'm running TOS 5.0.176. I believe root is no longer needed. Are there different directory paths that I should be using in my putty session? If so, can someone please share the TOS 5 version of the above commands?