Plex fails to start?

TOS application, TNAS PC, TNAS mobile
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Plex fails to start?

Post by TMSupport »

Troubleshooting

When Plex fails to start and stays as “stopped” or “Operation failed” after updating of TOS (especially from TOS4.0 to TOS4.1). Please try the followings to fix it:
1. Please log onto TOS –File Manager and go to the directory admin > User > plex.
01.png
2. Right-click file userid and click edit. (If Text Editor is not installed, please go to the application center to download)
03.png
3. Change userid to 5555, and save your change.
04.png
4. Restart Plex.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Troubleshooting for the issue that Plex cannot be started

Post by TMSupport »

When Plex could not be started and it’s always “Configuring”, it’s possibly the reason that the database is corrupted, please try the following steps to fix it:
1. Please log onto TOS and stop Plex.

2. Open File Manager on the TOS desktop and go to the directory admin > User > plex > home > Library > Application Support > Plex Media Server > Plug-in Support > Databases.

3. Find the databases .db which are in use for the time being.

4. Rename the databases .db to .db.bak to make a copy for it.
07.png
5. Locate the databases backup with a more recent date.
08.png
6. Delete the suffix to rename the selected databases in .db format.
09.png
7. Go to TOS Application center to start Plex. It should be working then.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Plex fails to start?

Post by TMSupport »

Plex could not be started after Plex re-installation, please try the following:
1. SSH TNAS as root How to log in to the SSH terminal?
2. check the user and user group information using the following command:
Input

Code: Select all

cat /etc/passwd
to check whether any Plex user is existed;
Input

cat /etc/groud
to check whether any Plex group user is existed.
If user or group information is existed, please skip to step 6.
3. Create plex user group
Input

groupadd -g 5555 plex
4. Create plex user and assign to the group
Input

useradd -M -u 5555 plex -g plex
5. Restart Plex service
Input

/etc/init.d/plex restart
6. Go to TOS Application center to uninstall Plex
7. Go to File Manager at TOS webpage, click admin - user , locate Plex folder and rename it as Plex1
Plexfolder.jpg
Plexfolder.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 18872 times
8. Go to Application center again to reinstall Plex.
ETCornerReviews

Post by ETCornerReviews »

I have tried the above mentioned steps and can still not get the newest version of Plex working.
I am using Plex version 1.22.3.4392 with a clean install of TOS version 4.2.09-2101251735.

It says the install is successful, however when I try to start Plex it goes from Configuring to Stopped while displaying "Operation Successful."

Is there anything else I can try?
ETCornerReviews

Post by ETCornerReviews »

For anyone with the same issue, I fixed it with a restart and reinstall.
freemanrw

Post by freemanrw »

Could you more specific on the setps you took to solve the issue?
I have the same issue with PMS failing to start.
I uninstall PMS, performed a reboot of the NAS and reinstall afterwards PMS, but I keep getting the same error: PMS won't start.
demetry14

Post by demetry14 »

When the Plex app fails to start and is stuck in "Configuring... Please wait." I do the following:

Login to the SSH terminal as admin (or whatever your admin username is) and run:
sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex status

Output is always:
PlexMediaServer stopped

Then I run:
sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex start

And I watch the system fail to symlink, change owners, change groups and then:
Starting PlexMediaServer: success

Hope this helps others!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the Terra-Master Support Team, when the icon and when the manual process above are run the outputs I can follow that error are:

SINGLE ERROR:
ln: /home/plex/home: File exists

THIS CHOWN ERROR IS ABOUT 3 PAGES WORTH OS SPECIFIC BUNDLES AND FILE IDS THAT IT SAYS ARE NOT THERE:
chown: /mnt/md0/User/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movie/FOLDER NUMBER/BUNDLE_NAME_HERE.bundle/Contents/_combined/posters/com.plexapp.agents.localmedia_FILE_ID: No such file or directory

AT THE END OF THE FILE RIGHT BEFORE IT STARTS THESE TWO CHANGE GROUPS FAIL:
chgrp: /dev/dri/renderD128: No such file or directory
chgrp: /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
demetry14

Post by demetry14 »

Also DMESG states:

lowmemorykiller: Killing 'Plex Media Scan' (9399), adj 0, to free 1674664kB on behalf of 'Plex Media Scan' (9399) because cache 6068kB is below limit 6144kB for oom_score_adj 0 Free memory is -2868kB above reserved

Which is most likely when my RSYNC backup runs.
sacbutt

Post by sacbutt »

TMSupport wrote:
> Hi - I have this problem - plex fails to start probably 50% of times, it's really unreliable. It says it's not connecting when attempting open on phone / tablet app and on laptop, when I try opening via the TNAS desktop page it says configuring. I have unisntalled all plex apps on all platforms multiple times, everything is up to date, still a problem.

I followed these instructions in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=364#p1441

22/4/20: 20:44 - change user id to 5555 - it was already this, no change needed
22/4/20: 20:47 - TOS desktop file manager - db to db.bak steps - THIS WORKED!! ... and then it stopped working the second time I tried to log in (the next day). Same problem - diosconnec ted (on the mobiles app, laptop, configuring on the TNAS app.

So I followed the steps up to 4, couldn't go further because there were already .db.bak files (ie, there were both .db and .db.bak undated files) and I couldn't finish the process.

It's still configuring...

I'd like to try this instruction:
14/10/20:17:55 - SSH TNAS as root - but I don't know what a SSH is and I'm worried I'll mess it up and make even more stuff stop working on my laptop. It may seem like basic following instructions (I'm a gamer - I love rule books! I should be able to do this, right?) - but for someone with no computing background, there aren't many clues for which of the 9 links in the MSI windows installer section to choose from in this page https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt ... atest.html (I'm assuming I'd need to download something from this section, not the alternative binary files???)

I also note Demetry's post
by demetry14 » 02 Jun 2021, 14:02

When the Plex app fails to start and is stuck in "Configuring... Please wait." I do the following:

Login to the SSH terminal as admin (or whatever your admin username is) and run:
sudo ../.././mnt/md0/application/pkgs/plex/etc/init.d/plex status

but I don't know where to find the SSH terminal in my laptop.

So - Plex still configuring, db/bak fix isn't an option, there's an SSH terminal somewhere with my name on it and I am less than minimum-chips-computer-savvy - can any one please help me get Plex working and set up with a reliable fix?
Thank you!!!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sacbutt