Can't set the boot sequence in Bios, but only boot from the TOS disk?

About TNAS hardware
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Can't set the boot sequence in Bios, but only boot from the TOS disk?

Post by TMzethar »

Applicable models
F2-223, F2-423, F4-223, F4-423, T6-423, T9-423, T12-423, U4-423, U8-423, U12-423
(If you are using other series of 223/423 models, please provide the invoice information to the technical support mailbox to obtain the corresponding BIOS separately.)

Fault phenomenon:For a few users with special needs, they would like to customise the TNAS disks boot order, but find that they cannot set the boot disks order under Bios and can only boot from the TOS system disks by default.

Countermeasures:You need to update Bios. Specific steps for updating Bios:
Bios file zip package for F2-223, F2-423, F4-223, F4-423:
https://download2.terra-master.com/Bios_T1509BG0.zip

Bios file zip package for T6-423:
https://download2.terra-master.com/T1509BF2.zip

Bios file zip package for T9-423,T12-423,U4-423,U8-423,U12-423:
https://download2.terra-master.com/T7309A13.zip

1. Prepare an empty USB stick and format it in FAT format, extract Bios_T1509BG0.zip and copy all the files from it to the root directory of the USB stick.

2. Unplug all hard drives from the TNAS, dismantle the TNAS and remove the boot USB drive inside the TNAS.
(Note:You can also upgrade the Bios without dismantling the TNAS.However, there will be two USB stick boot entries on the Bios settings page at“Boot> UEFI USB Drive BBS Priorities > BOOT Option #?”so you will need to find the corresponding Bios USB stick.)

3. Insert the USB stick containing the Bios files into the TNAS.

4. Connect the TNAS to the monitor via the HDMI cable and connect the keyboard with the USB plug to the TNAS.

5. Turn the TNAS on. After the display shows the Bios main page, please press the Esc or Delete key to go to the Bios settings page.

6.Select Boot > UEFI USB Drive BBS Priorities, press the Enter key,change item BOOT Option #1 from Disable to UEFI: General UDISK 5.00, Partition 1,Press Enter again and press F4 to save, then Bios will go to the automatic update page.

7. Once the Bios update is complete, it will display the following page.

8. Close TNAS and remove the USB stick containing the Bios files. Connect the USB stick to the computer and delete all the files on the USB stick except for the DmiEditEfi64 and EFI.

9. Then insert the USB stick containing the Bios files into the TNAS and boot it up. After the display shows the Bios main page, please press the Esc or Delete key to go to the Bios settings page.

10. Select Boot > UEFI USB Drive BBS Priorities, press the Enter key,change item BOOT Option #1 from Disable to UEFI: General UDISK 5.00, Partition 1,Press Enter again and press F4 to save. Bios will then enter the shell interface.

11. Please enter the following command in the shell interface.
If the model is F4-423, enter the following command:

Code: Select all

fs0:
cd DmiEditEfi64
AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-F4423-NT140-0001
If the model is T6-423, enter the following command:

fs0:
cd DmiEditEfi64
AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-T6423-NT140-0001
"F4423" or "T6423" represents your TNAS model, if you are using other applicable models, you only need to change it to the combination of letters and numbers corresponding to the TNAS model.

12. Turn the TNAS off and remove the USB stick containing the Bios file. Install the boot USB stick that was originally located inside the TNAS back into the TNAS, install the hard disks back into the corresponding hard disk slots, and you can boot up the TNAS and continue using it.

13. If you want to adjust the order of the boot disks under Bios, repeat step 5,then select Fast > TOS Boot First,change this item to Disabled ,then set the boot sequence again to save the boot sequence.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
giodamelio

Re: Can't set the boot sequence in Bios, but only boot from the TOS disk?

Post by giodamelio »

That you so much for allowing this option to be unlocked. Would it be possible to post a BIOS update to unlock boot order settings for the F4-421?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}giodamelio

Please contact the technical support mailbox and inform your F4-421 of the current BIOS version.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Issam2204

Post by Issam2204 »

Hello, thank you for this guide. Is there a way to revert back all these changes?
foobar12

Post by foobar12 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

> 11. Please enter the following command in the shell interface.
> If the model is F4-423, enter the following command:

What is the code sequence for F2-423?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}foobar12
"F4423" or "T6423" represents your TNAS model, if you are using other applicable models, you only need to change it to the combination of letters and numbers corresponding to the TNAS model. For your F2-423:

fs0:
cd DmiEditEfi64
AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-F2423-NT140-0001
RobW

Post by RobW »

Is there a different BIOS firmware for the T9-423? I tried following the instructions in this thread (as suggested by TerraMaster support) but changed the instructions as follows:

fs0:
cd DmiEditEfi64
AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-T9423-NT140-0001
However now my NAS only detects 2 of 6 hard drives and the NVME I've installed doesn't appear at all.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

RobW wrote: 16 Oct 2023, 21:25 Is there a different BIOS firmware for the T9-423?
It likely is quite different.

Just from the backplate alone, it's a different motherboard versus all the other 423 series devices as the T9-423 has its HDMI port in a different location & uses a IEC 320 C14 male socket on a separated internal PSU instead of a barrel connector on the backplate (the T6-423 just has the motherboard from the F×-423 devices rotated 180°):
NAScompares has internal motherboard images, which shows that the T9-423 doesn't use a PCIe socketed backplane for its drives like all lesser drive bay 423 series devices, instead using what seems to be an onboard controller with 3× miniSAS connectors (the N5095 SoC has support for 2 SATA connections, so that's likely why 2 drives show up):
RobW

Post by RobW »

Just for anyone Googling in future, a new BIOS provided by Terra-Master support fixed my issues. If you have the T9-423 do not install the BIOS file provided for the T6-423 :D
Storage

Post by Storage »

Hi I just bought a F4-423 last week and I wanted to install a Debian based system on it and ran into this boot problem described here.
I think I already have a newer BIOS installed on my device.
I’m getting on the boot screen this message:
TVI1509X V03 A1 BIOS Date: 06/24(2022 13:37:41
And in the BIOS itself I get in the Main-Tab:
Core Version 5.19
Project Version T1509BH1
Build Date and Time 06/24/2022 13:37:41
So, without flashing the BIOS from above, I applied the command

AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-F4423-NT140-0001
, but I do not have the “TOS Boot First” option in the BIOS.
Is it safe to flash the BIOS from above which is an T1509BG0. And I have an T1509BH1 which sounds newer to me.