How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

About TNAS hardware
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

Post by Tricky »

DDR3 will only operate at 1.5v while DDR3L will handle both 1.3 and 1.5v, and while a 1600mhz should work I also think there may be some sort of coding going on with the later boards, I will have to check mine as they are quite early.
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

Tricky wrote:
> I also think there may be some sort of
> coding going on with the later boards, I will have to check mine as they
> are quite early.

I would appreciate that immensely.

I was digging a bit deeper into this train of thought over the last couple of days, and looking at the individual chips used, and combing through datasheets when I found this on the Winbond 25Q64FWSIG (directly adjacent to the 1st onboard RAM chip (U50)):

"Additionally, the device supports JEDEC standard manufacturer and device ID, a 64-bit Unique Serial Number and three 256-bytes Security Registers."

I'd link pics of my v1.3 board, and the screencap of the relevant pdf, but I don't see a way to upload images without hosting them on a third party site. (too much trouble at the moment since I'm on the phone)

But suffice it to say, the Winbond chip on mine has a green splotch where TM marked it (assuming it's either an ID for them to know which FW was flashed OR perhaps that it simply passed qc. Who knows.) But I mention it primarily as a quick means of locating the chip, as well as being curious if yours has the same chip number, or color splotch.

Will await your reply (and interested in anyone else who might want to 'dig that deep' while they happen to have their F2-220/F4-220 open.)

Cheers for the ongoing efforts to shed some light on the issue.
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

So the recommended RAM (purchased from the AliExpress link in these forums) came in from the slow boat from China today...

Same BS results as all of the other sticks I've tried. No go. (2 red LEDs, no post, no LAN. Even after clearing the CMOS. Even after pulling the battery and clearing the CMOS again.)

I'm firmly convinced that they've hardware ID locked the (my post) above referenced chip to only recognizing only their own brand ram sticks (whatever hardware ID code they are).
Because I've tried to systematically eliminate all other variables (single sided vs double sided, 4 chips vs 8 vs 16 chips, cl9 vs cl11, etc.) and there just doesn't seem to be any other reason that I can see. All have been the low voltage or dual voltage varieties (meaning will operate at 1.3v).

My Rev.1.3 board just seems locked out as far as using alternative sources for ram expansion.

/furious
Dennis_H

Post by Dennis_H »

I don't know how different the 220 is from the 221, but I used this on my 221 and it works perfectly.
Crucial RAM 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Laptop Memory CT102464BF160B
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Y ... UTF8&psc=1
iba

Post by iba »

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what RAM do I need for F4-220

Is it DDR3 or DDR3L?
Is it 1333mhz or 1600mhz?
Is it 1.5v or 1.35v?
Is it 2gb or should I go with something bigger?

If any one could post some links from aliexpress with RAM they bought and got to work that would be really appreciated too.

Thank you
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Since I have stopped testing my F5-221 with TOS 5 i will pull the case and have a look at the board and check and see just what the RAM I have is labelled.
powerlinemk

Post by powerlinemk »

Hi all together,
Is there already a recommendartion for upgrading the RAM of the f4-423? As i see it is the first time that ddr4 memory ist used and the official compatibility list is not updated yet.

Thanks!
Powerlinemk
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}powerlinemk
We will update the list soon. To avoid compatibility issues, it is recommended to use the official RAM stick.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
powerlinemk

Post by powerlinemk »

Hi,
The official ddr4 RAM Stick is not listed in Amazon Germany for now
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The stock is not available now, you need to wait for a while, about 1 month.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)