How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

About TNAS hardware
Roccia7
Italy

Re: How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

Post by Roccia7 »

Just to clarify, I have always really appreciated the work done by terramaster and I have always complimented them, as well as recommending their products. Only in this circumstance I don't like the management of the certified and expensive hardawre
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

I have third party RAM fitted to both TM NAS, and it works perfectly, just like fitting replacement parts to any device providing you do your research and make sure it's compatible it will be fine, just like most manufactures TM want you to use only endorsed parts that they can make money from...but it doesn't mean you have to but like any other you are likely to invalidate any warranty if something goes wrong.
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

Roccia7 wrote:
> Hardfecx wrote:
> >
> I said it can theoretically go up to 8gb, I didn't say it has to go up to 8gb. Who
> says that my nas also reaches 8gb is someone else, look here
>
> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=899&p=4378&hilit=f2+220+ram#p4384
> Anyway I don't know if your aim is to make only controversy or not, but I don't have
> time to waste on these things. If you want to help it is welcome and I thank you,
> otherwise we can avoid unnecessary discussions.

Just show me one HDD with 4TB for 80$....
Roccia7
Italy

Post by Roccia7 »

Tricky wrote:
> I have third party RAM fitted to both TM NAS, and it works perfectly, just
> like fitting replacement parts to any device providing you do your research
> and make sure it's compatible it will be fine, just like most manufactures
> TM want you to use only endorsed parts that they can make money from...but
> it doesn't mean you have to but like any other you are likely to invalidate
> any warranty if something goes wrong.

I agree with what you write, I did a lot of research to find the right ram, I also tried several. I looked for them with the features related to my nas, but none that work. This is why I asked for information here, because it seems incredible that one of the ones I tried does not work!
These are the characteristics of the ram I tested:
RAM SO-DIMM 2GB DDR3L 1333 mhz 1.35V
Now I don't care about the guarantee because my nas has almost 5 years.

Hardfecx wrote:
> Roccia7 wrote:
> > Hardfecx wrote:
> > >
> > I said it can theoretically go up to 8gb, I didn't say it has to go up to 8gb.
> Who
> > says that my nas also reaches 8gb is someone else, look here
> >
> >
> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=899&p=4378&hilit=f2+220+ram#p4384
> > Anyway I don't know if your aim is to make only controversy or not, but I don't
> have
> > time to waste on these things. If you want to help it is welcome and I thank
> you,
> > otherwise we can avoid unnecessary discussions.
>
> Just show me one HDD with 4TB for 80$....

Can't find it yourself baby? Ok I'm looking for it for you since your little fingers hurt https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf ... 8kX7y&th=1

Are you happy now?? And now PLEASE STOP
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Maybe a bit more searching of this site for the RAM info and a bit less squabbling would help......if you had searched you would have found my posts about this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32617292005.html
I have used both 4gig and 8 gig so added to the original 2gig that gives totals of 6 gig and 10 gig which is more than the stated max.
Roccia7
Italy

Post by Roccia7 »

Tricky wrote:
> Maybe a bit more searching of this site for the RAM info and a bit less
> squabbling would help......if you had searched you would have found my
> posts about this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32617292005.html
> I have used both 4gig and 8 gig so added to the original 2gig that gives
> totals of 6 gig and 10 gig which is more than the stated max.

You are absolutely right, I have always hated squabbling on the forums, I consider them useful precisely for their purpose of informing and helping. In fact in my first post of this thread viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2283#p15766 I asked about the type of ram that I could mount. I had already done research, and I had seen your message, but my request was just to remove the doubts: in theory my nas supports 1333 mhz memories and not 1600 mhz, and as far as I have seen it supports 1.35V ram (DDR3L) and not 1.5V (DDR3). I don't know if I can mount DDR3 or not, and I don't know if I can mount 1600 mhz or not. Could you tell me something? For these reasons I have not purchased one of those ram you indicated. I don't remember reading what your nas is. Anyway thanks 1000 for the link!
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

It's a well known fact most NAS can support more than the manufacturers state, I discovered this when told by QNAP that my QNAP 453A would only accept 8GB (It actually takes 16GB).
As for RAM, Terramaster may recommend a particular RAM module, but they don't manufacture RAM, there's relatively few FAB plants. So providing you buy the correct spec modules, they would work.
I own a well known German Sports car, they recommend Mobil 1 oil! (even says it inside the boot by the engine), do I use Mobil 1? Hell no, I use a better oil, which I supply when it has its services. (Its cheaper and a significantly better Oil).
I have this strange theory, its called "Thinking for myself!" © George Carlin.
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

Charlie_Croker wrote:
>

Couldn't agree more Charlie!

My problem is, I've been through 3 ram modules so far (the latest being a Samsung module: M471B5173QH0-YK0)...

It's 4gb, DDR3L, CL11, 12800S, so it *should* work fine. Yet it doesn't.
Granted, it's 1600mhz, but it also scales back to 1333mhz.

Regardless, I'm beginning to wonder if TM decided to code in hardware ID codes for ram at some point (I'm on a rev1.3 board), because I've read several comments by folks stating that they have up to 8gb in the extra slot, working properly and correctly ID'd (by the system, post boot).

I got so frustrated thinking ok, maybe they're wanting ECC, and not mentioning it (as another obstacle against users not buying ram directly from TM (either their Amazon listing, or the TM store)...that I took the system apart to get the ID and model of the onboard 2gb.
Turns out that it's 1600MHZ as well, so there shouldn't be any issue with the latest Samsung stick whatsoever. Yet, there is.

System doesn't boot (green power is ok), hdd's go from red to none, and never gets LAN access.

Cleared CMOS each time in between attempts as well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TerraMaster isn't getting my business for ram because of their hyper-inflated prices.
Roccia7
Italy

Post by Roccia7 »

TM220user wrote:
> Charlie_Croker wrote:
> >
>
> Couldn't agree more Charlie!
>
> My problem is, I've been through 3 ram modules so far (the latest being a Samsung
> module: M471B5173QH0-YK0)...
>
> It's 4gb, DDR3L, CL11, 12800S, so it *should* work fine. Yet it doesn't.
> Granted, it's 1600mhz, but it also scales back to 1333mhz.
>
> Regardless, I'm beginning to wonder if TM decided to code in hardware ID codes for
> ram at some point (I'm on a rev1.3 board), because I've read several comments by
> folks stating that they have up to 8gb in the extra slot, working properly and
> correctly ID'd (by the system, post boot).
>
> I got so frustrated thinking ok, maybe they're wanting ECC, and not mentioning it (as
> another obstacle against users not buying ram directly from TM (either their Amazon
> listing, or the TM store)...that I took the system apart to get the ID and model of
> the onboard 2gb.
> Turns out that it's 1600MHZ as well, so there shouldn't be any issue with the latest
> Samsung stick whatsoever. Yet, there is.
>
> System doesn't boot (green power is ok), hdd's go from red to none, and never gets
> LAN access.
>
> Cleared CMOS each time in between attempts as well.
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> TerraMaster isn't getting my business for ram because of their hyper-inflated prices.

Welcome in board! I'm searching fore a ram too and i won't spendo € 50.00 for 2 gb ram. I tried several modules but anyone works. I have f2-220 with v 1.3 board too
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

Tricky wrote:
> ......if you had searched you would have found my
> posts about this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32617292005.html
> I have used both 4gig and 8 gig so added to the original 2gig that gives
> totals of 6 gig and 10 gig which is more than the stated max.

I have seen your posts, as well as a couple others, and they're appreciated!

I was trying to NOT have to wait for the slow boat from China, but I finally decided screw it. I might as well since nothing else has worked.

Besides which, I need the 12 pin VGA cable a anyways. lol

One thing I did wasn't to ask you though since you didn't mention it here (and I don't recall from the other threads), did you go with 1333mhz? Or 1600mhz?

The reason I ask is they only had 1600mhz in the DDR3L option in the current listing (using your link)... It *shouldn't* be a problem, but then again, I thought the Samsung should have worked too. /sigh

What are the timings on the ones you were successful with?

Thanks for the additional input!