How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

About TNAS hardware
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How to add RAM module to TerraMaster NAS

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Roccia7

Warning! The F2-220 was a very old model which released 7 years ago, it has been end of life for 3 years. Even its successor, the F2-221, will soon be discontinued. Its bios never been changed unless you do it by yourself. You are suspected of violating forum rules by providing false information to mislead others.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
markc

Post by markc »

Can anyone tell me the correct screwdriver type and size to remove the screws from a F4-423, so I can upgrade the ram?

There are 6 screw sockets and the screws are so tight I am terrified of stripping the slots in the top of the screws. I've managed to loosen 3 of them, but the other 3 are really, really tight. I need to purchase the EXACT sized screwdriver to get the screws out without damaging the top of the screws.

Furthermore, I know it's a Philips Head screwdriver, but I need some idea of the size of the screwdriver to look for... what would a professional tech use in this case?
markc

Post by markc »

I got a good quality 3mm shank "ph1" sized Philips head screwdriver and that did the trick.

As for ram, I am using 2 x 16 GB Crucial 3200 chips, and it has been working fine for a week. I have the same ram in a F2-423 for a couple of months. I even tried 2 x 32 GB chips, and it booted up okay, but could only see 32 GB of the possible 64 GB available.

Now, when I try to reassemble... I can't get it back together because the case is too tight and just won't slot in all the way against the front panel. I'll start another thread about it.
Woolfy

Post by Woolfy »

I was able to talk to CS and they said that you can now use 3rd party ram. (Started a few weeks ago supposedly) They said it works for the 423/223 series nas (I assume it will work for other models as well). Basically once you update to TOS 5.1, the nas will accept the memory 😃

That's why i originally returned mine after seeing how expensive it was going to be, just to have a total of 32GB ram. Just nuts. Anyways, I hope this info helps someone.
scavenger_ro

Post by scavenger_ro »

Nice to know, really glad TM reversed this change as the hardware is top notch, too bad some of us already left for greener pastures on the software side .
F2-423 proudly running UnRaid
1x Verbatim Store 'n' Stay Nano USB 3.0 32GB (BOOT)
2x 16GB Kingston KVR32S22S8/16 RAM (blocked by Terramaster)
2x 512GB SSD Samsung 970 EVO, BTRFS cache Raid 1
2x 10TB WD White Labels Helium Drives, BTRFS Parrity + Data.
Roccia7
Italy

Post by Roccia7 »

Strange, very strange indeed. I wonder why the previous 2 messages have not been deleted. When I said that, PROBABLY (without saying that it was a certain thing), TM blocked the ram someone with delusions of grandeur deleted my messages, and threatened to ban me because I violated alleged rules. Now the same TM admits that really blocks the ram. Fantastic! Thanks to that person I switched to synology and my f2 became an xpenology.
TNAS F2-220
TOS 5.0.176
anxo

Post by anxo »

Hi every body.
I've just bought this memory Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (o 2933MHz o 2666MHz) CT16G4SFRA32A and works fine on F2-423. I installed the memory in an brand new device and did a clean installation of TOS without problem.
hello123

Post by hello123 »

Also confirming the Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz works without issue - TOS 5.1.4

cruzerkk

Post by cruzerkk »

I recently purchased Terramaster F4-423 NAS and know that it has the stock 4GB DDR4 RAM that is provided by Terramaster. I have an old windows laptop lying around which I am about to get rid of. It has an 8GB RAM which I was hoping to add to my terramaster NAS before recycling the laptop.

The NAS supports upto 32GB RAM and this is the model of the RAM that sits inside my laptop:
"Samsung M471A1K43BB0-CPB 8GB PC4-17000 DDR4-2133MHz Non-ECC Unbuffered CL15 260-Pin SoDimm 1.2V Single Rank Memory Module - OEM"
https://amazon.com/Samsung-M471A1K43BB0 ... B07KGG3W35

I wanted to confirm whether this would work in the Terramaster F4-423 system. If yes, can I add this to the additional slot to get a total of 12 GB RAM ?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

The "single rank" might (and I stress might) be an issue. I don't know if that is stated in TM spec. This is an example of feelings on the subject.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/ ... -rank-ram/
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.