TOS 5 and F2-210

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
buster3

Re: TOS 5 and F2-210

Post by buster3 »

Given the official announcement today, that is correct.

All ARM-Series are to be left behind on 4.2.x. Who knows if we'll see any further updates. I'm considering my units officially EOL and will be moving on to other units.

So I bought a piece of shit that the company doesn't want to support anymore?
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

Which announcement is that? Have a link?
Xstincshun

Post by Xstincshun »

Saijin_Naib wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 03:33 Which announcement is that? Have a link?
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3588

F2-210 is not on the list for update to 5.0. Sucks as I have one as well and 4.2 is a POS
RedCraft

Post by RedCraft »

I will say the following... I see that every 5-6 days there is a new release of TOS5. In my opinion, it is a very raw TOS5 with lots of bugs and unstable performance. Guys, I don't know why you are want raw TOS5 for ARM. I think we just need to wait for more stable releases and the official response from the developers about ARM.
TMroy wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:53 As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.
All I see is that just have to wait. I'm not trying to defend the developers, I'm interested in an ARM upgrade myself, but reading this thread just made me laugh at some of the responses.

If you want something new - find a way to install another operating system, I think it can be implemented ;)
f2-210
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

I honestly don't care about anything specific to TOS5 itself, but rather I care about the innumerable security fixes, dependency updates, and other critical platform updates they've made in the creation of TOS5 that help harden it a bit against the ever-increasing waves of crypto-malware targeting out of date NAS units.

At this point, I'd welcome backports of critical security fixes compared to just... nothing for the ARM units. Even backporting 2FA would be a massive security improvement and would help things drastically.

And yes, as soon as I can figure out how to put mainline Alpine on here, I will. If I can't this goes to eBay and I make my own NAS from scratch, which is what I should have done to begin with.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

TMroy wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:53 As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.
Now that the new 211 ARM series devices (running on a newer A55 based RTD1619B SoC) are available & sporting TOS 5.0.186, when will backporting for the 210 series begin?

Are you looking for users to beta test the TOS 5 on the 210 series?
Santiago

Post by Santiago »

Ok, the beta version of TOS 5 is officially not supported on 210 models. What the fuck do I do with my 210? It is not possible to install another operating system (FreeNAS or OMV), only higher models. And, the latest version of TOS, fails with most of the installable plugins.
I don't know what to do with my current Terramaster... any ideas to extend its life?
DaveRockZ

Post by DaveRockZ »

It is frustrating that 210 users are left behind. If you only want it, Terramaster can do it. Terramaster has a very poor user experience anyway.
Santiago

Post by Santiago »

Yeah, but the hardware is good for this price. The software TOS is to poor. Im trying change SO, but only is possible in 221 or higher.
My las possible is buy a tinypc, install FN or OMV, and connect by local network to the disk in Terramaster
Shaolin

Post by Shaolin »

demetry14 wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 02:24 Saijin_Naib wrote:
My F4-210 has an alternate OS I ported myself. You should never have only one solution.

Can you let us know what OS you managed to get on there, and how you did it?

Thanks.