TOS 5 and F2-210

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TOS 5 and F2-210

Post by TMroy »

As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

TMroy wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:53 … We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, …
ARMv9?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMroy wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:53 As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.
so you pretty much are confirming that there is no plans to introduce TOS5 to the 210 series, you are working on another ARM product (new hardware) and then maybe see if it might work on the 210 series but no guarantees i.e not actively being planned for and worked on, it would just be a happy accident if it did (which doesnt bring much confidence that it would be stable)
F2-210

Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

As I said, the 210 series should be considered EOL and we should be investigating replacements and migrations to get ahead of this. They've made it quite clear that their focus is the x86 units, and I imagine any further ARM units are going to be a one-and-done just like these all were, seeing no critical upgrades nor enhancements beyond bare-minimum security support (even then, that's lacking).

I can't even state how disappointed and disillusioned I am by all of this. Just so let down.
demetry14

Post by demetry14 »

Saijin_Naib wrote:
> As I said, the 210 series should be considered EOL and we should be
> investigating replacements and migrations to get ahead of this. They've
> made it quite clear that their focus is the x86 units, and I imagine any
> further ARM units are going to be a one-and-done just like these all were,
> seeing no critical upgrades nor enhancements beyond bare-minimum security
> support (even then, that's lacking).
>
> I can't even state how disappointed and disillusioned I am by all of this.
> Just so let down.

I invested in a Synology NAS immediately after the first Terra-Master's update that lost RAID data. I believe I posted how to fix that back then and regain access to your data to back it up and then clean wipe the NAS to start fresh. It was a good thing I was backing up the TNAS to a USB drive at the time. My F2-210 has been a backup only for my Synology NAS ever since and the TNAS is only on for 3hrs a day now. My F4-210 has an alternate OS I ported myself. You should never have only one solution.

As for TOS 5, once you have another solution you will not care what TNAS is on.

I come to the forums to see if Terra-Master is improving or not, but even that happens less these days because I have other solutions that just work now.

Good luck to you!
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

demetry14 wrote:
> Saijin_Naib wrote:
>… My F4-210 has an alternate OS I ported myself.

Which is … ?

If you have a solution that could benefit others, care to share it?
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

demetry14 wrote:
My F4-210 has an alternate OS I ported myself. You should never have only one
> solution.
>

Do you have any guidance on this anywhere? I think I'll likely roll a custom OS based around Alpine Linux (since that is what I use for all my Linux machines and it has some shared lineage with OpenWRT which TOS is based upon), but I'm not sure what the partition structure needs to look like for the custom USB, etc.
rajputonline

Post by rajputonline »

Hello,

I tried installing raspbian on the USB stick and was able to boot.

When tried connecting via SSH. Connection was established on port 22 but it was not accepting default password or any password that I set while flashing.

My aim is to get a working armbian or raspbian with openmediavault so that I can kiss goodbye to TOS.

Any insight will be helpful.
Pegaroo

Post by Pegaroo »

TMroy wrote:
> As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series
> products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new
> ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if
> possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.

If TOS 5 isn't coming to F2/F4-210 can you release a tool to allow us to install OMV or similar OS so we can keep our devices updated and secure especially in lieu of the Deadbolt attacks from earlier this year
buster3

Post by buster3 »

demetry14 wrote: 28 May 2022, 10:45 I am sure from the lack of response from TM, they are probably leaving the ARM processors on TOS 4.
Oh, you mean the version that none of the apps work?? that version?