Switching from Synology... questions...

This forum serves as a free discussion zone, intended to facilitate community conversations on topics unrelated to TerraMaster products and services.
smajor

Switching from Synology... questions...

Post by smajor »

I hope I'm in the right forum.

I don't like the way Synology is going by locking people into their add-on products and severely limiting drive choices in favor of the 50% markup "Synology" drives which are just rebranded Toshibas. I'm looking at other options.

Over the years, one thing I like is the SHR and the ability to expand as needed the size of the pool. I'm not rich and can't buy a ton of drives at once. ;) I see TRAID is your answer to SHR. Does TRAID also offer dual drive redundancy like their SHR2? SHR2 saved my bacon once when a 2nd drive failed during a rebuild, even though I have good off-site backups it was still a net time saver.

Several of my current drives are Seagate EROS 8TB drives that are not on their compatibility list at all. Does Terramaster do like Synology and pop warnings and limit features for "non supported" drives? I'd want to use these perfectly good drives until I replace them down the road.

I'm also looking in the 6 to 9-bay range if anyone has any thoughts on those. I tend to use my NAS for file sharing and 10-12 docker containers doing various things. My DS1817+ with the Atom C2538 seems to do okay, but a little more processing power wouldn't hurt and the ability to transcode video might be a future want.

Thanks for any help!
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: Switching from Synology... questions...

Post by Tricky »

I think you may find it's similar, although I am using an older machine and a variety of drives without problem but have found a couple of the updates made it report that I had two corrupted drives, but all was OK and eventually with other updates the reported errors went away, apparently the newer TNAS won't allow non-sanctioned after market memory upgrades, but again I have non sanctioned memory in mine.