Configuration Recommendations for Hyper Cache

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Configuration Recommendations for Hyper Cache

Post by TMroy »

Since enabling SSD cache will consume a certain amount of TNAS memory. It is recommended that the memory used by SSD cache should not exceed 50~70% of the total memory capacity of the TNAS, otherwise the device performance of the TNAS may be affected.

The following are configuration recommendations for SSD caching:

Memory size: Recommended SSD cache capacity (Max)
1GB RAM : 50GB SSD Caching
2GB RAM : 160GB SSD Caching
4GB RAM : 320GB SSD Caching
6GB RAM : 500GB SSD Caching
8GB RAM : 800GB SSD Caching
10GB RAM : 1000GB SSD Caching
12GB RAM : 1280GB SSD Caching
16GB RAM : 1600GB SSD Caching
32GB RAM : 3200GB SSD Caching
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
321PeteD

Re: Configuration Recommendations for Hyper Cache

Post by 321PeteD »

The statement used, and the examples given don't match up.
I currently have a 12TB HDD, 1TB SSD hyper cache, and 16GB RAM.

The SSD hyper cache is ~60x bigger than the RAM.
Put another way; the RAM is about 2% of the hyper cache.
Model: F4-210
TOS: 4.2.43
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

Model: F2-423
TOS: 5.1.67-00214
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
Raid 0 - 2x1 TB NVMe Hyper Cache
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Configuration Recommendations for SSD Cache

Post by TMroy »

Sorry, I do not understand your concerns.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
321PeteD

Post by 321PeteD »

The examples given do not align with 50-70% total memory.
If I have 16GB memory, 50% of that is 8GB, so it seems like you're recommending a 8GB hypercache.
The example you give for 16GB ram recommends 100X more SSD hyper cache than RAM.

What is the appropriate size for the SSD Hyper cache?
Model: F4-210
TOS: 4.2.43
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

Model: F2-423
TOS: 5.1.67-00214
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
Raid 0 - 2x1 TB NVMe Hyper Cache
mandrael

Post by mandrael »

Exactly what I tought.
I can't believe that the recommendation with 50-70% of the NAS memory is correct.
I have 16 GB. This would be 8-11 GB SSD Cache.

Your examples show RAM x10, which sounds more likely.

So the final recommendation of Terramaster is a maximum SSD Hyper Cache of RAM x10 (for 8 GB RAM & above, and 8x with the default 4 GB)
In my case it is maximum 1,6 TB. So if I use RAID 1 with 2x 1TB SSDs I should be fine using the whole SSD space for r/w cache?
Correct?

Best, Michael
lsoto

Post by lsoto »

T6-423 bought yesterday. I had added 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2Tb.

First: at installation time it offered me create the pool along the other four HD that I installed for previous nas. Does Tos 5 have tiered storage? Otherwise it is a bit strange and not useful mixing HDD with SSD, isn't it?

Second: The Samsung were at 60C degrees before using it (formatting yet). They are currently at 83C while the sync at Hyper Cache creation (raid-1). Could/Should be a heatsink added to them? How should be the specs size wise?

Third: With the factory 4Gb (onboard?) RAM, it only let me create a 288Gb (not 320Gb) HyperCache (raid-1, read/write). It let me put a bigger size but discard it.

And the worst of everything it is that I saw this post AFTER having bought the NAS and the NVMe SSD. I didn't saw anything about this on the product page.

It is going to be at first my secondary storage (and probably add a secondary D6-320 in the future), so I didn't plan to activate almost any application, but just use it as a file server. And thus I didn't intend to upgrade the RAM, but it looks like that I will need to go for even the 16Gb SODIMM one...
jgea

Post by jgea »

Is it mandatory to have a RAID of ssd's for the cache or can I use a single SSD?
user222333

Post by user222333 »

Please write instructions on how to properly install the ssd Hyper Cache. How can I format my Hyper Cache ssd before use? When I installed the ssd Hyper Cache that was previously used on another TOS system, the existing system was overwritten with the old one with the loss of user data.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}user222333

If your PC has an M.2 interface, you can plug it into the PC and delete its partitions.
If you do not have the conditions to complete this, you can contact technical support to help you adjust the storage.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Newbie98000

Post by Newbie98000 »

Hi,
What is the minimum Cache configuration to setup with m2 Feature, along with the mechanic 2To raid1 I wanna setup?
Nas will be f2-223.

I understand I can just one m2 disk But I will not be lossdata résilient, so I would have such 2x 4 go m2 disk : what do you think about it?

As it is just for Cache Feature, I don't get the reason Why to use a 250 go m2 disk volumetry.

Thank you All :)