Hard drive keep "click, click, click" noise?

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Hard drive keep "click, click, click" noise?

Post by TMroy »

Why does the hard drive keep "click, click, click" noise after installing the TNAS system?

Frequently Asked Questions
Applicable models: all TNAS

After TNAS has newly installed the system, the hard disks will keep beeping "click, click, click", indicating that the system is accessing the hard disks, which is normal. The following are the reasons why the system continues to access the hard disks:

1. After the newly installed system is restarted, the system will scan the data and multimedia files of the hard disks to build a database for subsequent file access; during the scan, the system will continue to access the hard disk that makes noise. The scanning time will vary from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on the amount of data.

2. The newly created hard disk array needs to be synchronized. During the synchronization, the hard disks will continue to work and sound "click, click, click". The duration varies from a few hours to dozens of hours, depending on the size of the hard disk.

When this happens, please just wait.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
emabia72

Re: Hard drive keep "click, click, click" noise?

Post by emabia72 »

Hello,
I've just installed 2 brand new disks in my F2-210 and I have that "click click click" noise but there is no data, no files. Both hdd are empty.
Is it normal anyway?

Thanks
emabia72

Post by emabia72 »

Do I have to wait that it stops clicking before copying files on the hard drives?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}emabia72
There is no need to wait for the end, but performance may be lower when used during this period (especially when synchronous).
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vlad

Post by vlad »

TMzethar wrote: 31 May 2023, 09:30 There is no need to wait for the end, but performance may be lower when used during this period (especially when synchronous).
I have an F5-422. In my case the two HDDs were and still are empty, and it finished the initial synchronization of the RAID 1 storage pool about 12 hours ago. However, it's still continuously clicking for no apparent reason, about every second or so. Why?
emabia72

Post by emabia72 »

My F2-210 has stopped but don't ask me why
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

It may take 12-48 hours to clean up the newly created file system, or it may be that the application or function you are using is reading and writing, or it may be a problem with the hard disk.
You can log in to SSH, skip the command to view the read and write status:

Code: Select all

pidstat -d 1
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)