F4-220 FW 4.2.18 no HDD sleep

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: F4-220 FW 4.2.18 no HDD sleep

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your report!
The issue needs to be verified. Regarding the 4.2.28, you are the first one who reports the HDD sleeping issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
saturno

Post by saturno »

I'm afraid you need to take a look at:
rightLANE wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 22:19 Would anyone be able to check whether their HDDs are sleeping when using the smart fan setting on this newest update? Mine don't appear to be. I hadn't installed any new apps or changed any settings that'd prevent the drives from sleeping (except for changing the fan from low to smart), but it easily could be something on my end. I had this same issue on the previous release I was using and had to have the fan set to low for them to sleep. Just wanted to check if this was still an issue or just me. Thanks.
on
TOS 4.2.28(X86) is released for update!
feed.

and thanks if you do that and can address this since it is happening on the last couple of releases...
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We have verified that the hard drive hibernation is working properly in TOS 4.2.28. please refer to the following guide to troubleshoot the issue.
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=473
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
saturno

Post by saturno »

Sorry but your verification is unaccurate because it is not working as expected.

To clarify a little bit, I'll describe my system

- 1st volume: 1 SSD installed in 1st tray position.
- 2nd volume with 3 HDD Toshiba enterprise, RAID 5. This has 1 SMB file share configured where I backup once a day files (via scheduled task), that I already have on 2 other storage systems. This backup is initiated from another system, mounts the SMB share in F4-220 at the scheduled time and after completing the job the SMB mount is terminated. There are no open connections left open since the initiator system turns off itself after backup.

From the point of view of HDD entering sleep mode, this F4-220 system was configured to put HDDs to sleep after 30 min. idle time with Smart Fan mode configured.
This configuration was working as configured until version 4.2.16.
In version 4.2.18 I had to change the Fan working mode to "Low Speed" (as many other users also reported) since the system wasn't putting the HDDs to sleep after the idle time,
In version 4.2.8 the HDDs do not sleep by any means.

I turned off Docker and the 4 containers (that didn't prevent HDD to sleep until 4.2.16 and haven't change since then), disabled SMB share (I'm not backing up to this system during this test) and there is no service running on this F4-220 for 24+ hours and guess what? The HDDs are still running.

You might want to take a better look.
Please don't get me wrong but providing a thorough change-log each new version would benefit you as the vendor and us as the clients.

Thanks for all the attention and support you can provide to us with this.

All the best.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}saturno
Please follow the steps below and send us the log. We will troubleshoot the reason for preventing hibernation based on the log. 1.Log in to the SSH terminal 2.Execute the command

Code: Select all

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/block_dump

dmesg -C
3.Disconnect the SSH connection, wait a few hours and execute the command.

dmesg -T
4.Export the log and send it to our tech team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
horusibuna

Post by horusibuna »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for bringing this up, but I have a similar configuration to @saturno and, without any service running, my disks do not sleep, even with the latest version (4.2.30). I have a F4-220 too.
I ask you to truly verify this situation, because it is unacceptable to release versions in a productive environment without guaranteeing basic functionalities.

Thanks in advance for the support.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If you have the same issue, then just follow the guidance offered by our team and troubleshoot the issue. The hard drive hibernation feature has been verified multiple times in our lab. I have a device in my home, hibernation working perfectly with the latest version 4.2.30.
saturno

Post by saturno »

TMroy wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 12:46 If you have the same issue, then just follow the guidance offered by our team and troubleshoot the issue. The hard drive hibernation feature has been verified multiple times in our lab. I have a device in my home, hibernation working perfectly with the latest version 4.2.30.
Sorry but it is still not working on 4.2.30.
I executed the process you suggested, sent the log but the issue remains. Note if anyone needs to execute the steps suggested, you need to start by

sudo su
or

sudo -i 
to be able to execute the suggested commands for log creation since the admin user won't be able to run them...

I hope others get more luck than I.
@Terramaster: sorry but this has to work beyond the lab :-(
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Our tech team will check the reason why the hard disk cannot be hibernated based on your log information. Please wait for their reply.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
saturno

Post by saturno »

1 month since the last post ought to be enough to check the logs and bring up a solution or at least some workaround, do you agree?

Considering that even with virtually *nothing* running - SMB shares, Containers, Docker, network services, I'm almost sure that the issue could be related to the way the temperature is being acquired.
e.g. smartctl, hddtemp, get HDD temperatures from SMART which by the way happens to wake (or keep) up the disks...

Just my rant to resurrect this support question, that hopefully will get some real work done after these pointers, right TerraMaster Support Team?