Instructions for Online RAID Migration

Hard Drive, volume, storage pool, RAID
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Instructions for Online RAID Migration

Post by TMSupport »

Applicable model: all TNAS models.

This guide will help you to migrate your current RAID to a high level online without formatting your drives or losing data.

Online migrations without losing data in the existing storage pool:
Single drive to RAID 1;
RAID 1 to RAID 5;
RAID 5 to RAID 6;

The capacity of the added HDD should be no less than the capacity of the minimum HDD in the storage pool.

Steps for Migration from Single to RAID1:
1. Boot your TNAS up and log into TOS webpage.
2. Insert the new HDD and go to TOS Control panel - Storage manager- Storage pool- click Edit, and select "Online RAID level Migration" from the list, check the added HDD and follow the wizard to complete.

3. The RAID mode of the storage pool would be RAID1 after RAID rebuilding is finished. The total capacity would not be expanded since the hard drives are mirrored in RAID1.

Steps for Migration from RAID1 to RAID5:
2. Insert the new HDD and go to TOS Control panel - Storage manager- Storage pool- click Edit, and select "Online RAID level Migration" from the list, check the added HDD and follow the wizard to complete.
3.The RAID mode would be RAID5 after RAID rebuilding is finished. The total capacity of the storage pool would be expanded.
4. Please go to TOS Control panel - Volume - Edit to add the capacity for your volume.
The number at Free capacity is the capacity you can add for your existing volume.
The number at Volume capacity is the capacity of your existing volume, the capacity of your volume could only be added but not decreased.

Steps for Migration from RAID5 to RAID6:

3.The RAID mode would be RAID6 after RAID rebuilding is finished. The total capacity would not be expanded since RAID6 allows 2 HDDs failure.

Note:
The sequence of RAID Migration should be Single to RAID1, RAID1 to RAID5, RAID5 to RAID6.
You cannot migrate to RAID10 from other RAID mode, please choose RAID10 during creation of RAID.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
plankton

Re: Instructions for Online RAID Migration

Post by plankton »

Is there anywhere we can see the status of the migration?
user222333

Post by user222333 »

Hello!
I need additional instructions.
Please tell me if I can migrate between different cases F2-223, F2-423
and create a Backup by swapping disks?

1. Remove one HDD with data from F2-223 RAID_1 with power on.
2. Boot from this HDD if you need to read data on another F2-223/F2-423?
3. Clone data to another HDD using RAID_1?
4. After rearrangement, return the HDD with data to the original F2-223? (the data on it will be updated)
5. Is it possible to swap HDD with TOS_5 and data between empty cases F2-223 and F2-423?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}user222333
Hi,
The "RAID migration" here is not the same concept as the "migration" you want.
Since F2-223 and F2-423 have the same structure, you can directly put one TNAS disk into the other and continue to use it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
UrikVS

Post by UrikVS »

А есть ли такая возможность , из RAID1 на F2-423 использовать только один диск , как Single без потери данных ?
m00ndogg

Post by m00ndogg »

F2-223 running TOS 5.1

I don't seem to be able to select "Online RAID Level Migration".
I started with a single 14TB HDD and then added a second 14TB HDD a week later.
I don't want to lose data by starting from scratch so Online RAID Level Migration seems like the way to go.
What could cause the option to not be "clickable"?
It doesn't look greyed out, but it sure acts like it.
I took a screenshot but can't figure out how to add it here.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}m00ndogg
Guess your RAID type is TRAID that does not belong to the RAID type mentioned in this operation guide.
For TRAID, there is no "migration" option, while the "increase" option can have a similar effect of migrating RAID1 to RAID5.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
m00ndogg

Post by m00ndogg »

Thanks for the reply, and yes it is setup as TRAID.
I was trying to go from Single disk to RAID 1.
I went ahead and took the only option available which was to "Add Hard Drives To RAID".
After about 24 hours, it finished doing that.
Now I am trying to learn how to verify that it is actually RAID 1.

Suggestions?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}m00ndogg
I don't think it's necessary.
RAID1 can maintain data integrity even when one disk is missing. However, if you want to try verifying by removing one of the hard drives, it is recommended to backup the data first.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}m00ndogg

In a 2 drive nas, Traid will effectively be mirrored drives ie Raid-1. You should be able to see what is installed TRAID/RAID1/Whatever in the

Control panel > Storage Pool
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.