Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

New system installation, system re-install
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by Gremlin »

freman wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 15:30 Easy way to check for dead space is simply launch cfdisk, I have none.
Finally got around to checking this out.
Just a quick view of 'cfdisk' (run as admin user) on my upgraded system
reveals (for /dev/sda)

sda1 285M (start 2048) [ext4]
sda2 7.86G Linux file system - raid_member (tagged CORE)
sda3 1.96G Linux File System - raid_member (tagged SWAP)
sda4 1.8T Linux file system - raid_member (tagged USER)
sda5 1.8T Linux file system - raid_member (tagged USER)
Free Space 839.5K

Apart from "Free Space" all partitions are contiguous (ie no space between them).

How I managed to achieve this using the installation package (.ins) rather than the update package (.bz2) on a existing system is unknown, but does open up some questions for support.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
topo01
Germany

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by topo01 »

Dear TM support team,
it's been more than a month since you identified the issue with the too small system partition and started this thread.
Do you want to share what your plans are? What kind of solution are you working on? Do you have a timeframe that you are aiming for? Any type of news from you along those lines would be very much appreciated. Just to have an indication if it pays to be patient for some more time or am I better off looking for solutions myself.
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

As well as seconding the previous post, can you tell me whether the partition layout, indicated in my earlier post today, conforms to that expected for a correctly installed TOS 5.1 system? That, at least, would set my mind at rest that the system is as made as well as can be expected at this point.

[System is F5-221 with 3 x 4TB in Traid.]

Specifically, is the swap partition sufficient?

T.I.A.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If your TNAS system partition is 2GB, you can only stay at version 5.0.176, do not update to 5.1.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jhalfhide

Post by jhalfhide »

TMroy wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 11:40 If your TNAS system partition is 2GB, you can only stay at version 5.0.176, do not update to 5.1.
What about those of us already on 5.1, with 1.84GB/2GB partitions?

You are constantly fixing bugs and issues with the latest software. Are we to just be left without these fixes?
F2-422 running TOS 5.1
Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/SabNZBD
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

A 2GB system partition running TOS 5.1 is not recommended. We didn't announce this in time when we released 5.1, it's our problem, sorry.
We do not have fix solution for the partitions created several years ago.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Gremlin wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 18:32
freman wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 15:30 Easy way to check for dead space is simply launch cfdisk, I have none.
Finally got around to checking this out.
Just a quick view of 'cfdisk' (run as admin user) on my upgraded system
reveals (for /dev/sda)

sda1 285M (start 2048) [ext4]
sda2 7.86G Linux file system - raid_member (tagged CORE)
sda3 1.96G Linux File System - raid_member (tagged SWAP)
sda4 1.8T Linux file system - raid_member (tagged USER)
sda5 1.8T Linux file system - raid_member (tagged USER)
Free Space 839.5K

Apart from "Free Space" all partitions are contiguous (ie no space between them).

How I managed to achieve this using the installation package (.ins) rather than the update package (.bz2) on a existing system is unknown, but does open up some questions for support.
Dear support team,

I know, bad form to quote myself, but I would like an answer. See earlier posts for more detail.

The above was achieved from a 2Gb system partition by using installation package (.ins) rather than update package (.bz2). 3 x 4Tb Traid. For whatever reason, this worked and recovered a system that was showing as uninitialized. It might not work on systems "several years old", but I started (as far as I can recall now) with 5.0.176 but only a 2Gb system space was made. I am sure others are in similar positions.

Has the space made this way been correctly formed and is the swap space correct?
Are you prepared to conduct similar tests to verify a potential solution?

Thank you.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin
It is the partition format of TOS5 now.
Regarding the unused space, since there may be slightly smaller or larger hard disks on the market, in order to avoid being unusable, we set the value according to the small standard.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

Thank you for getting back to me. Hopefully there may now be some clues and progress to help others.
splaquet

Post by splaquet »

I had an interesting experience. I have a T5-420 w/ 3 12TB drives and a 500GB SSD for cache.

I upgraded my TOS by reinstalling. Everything appeared to be fine… so, i tweaked a few ports and added in my SSD back for caching.

So… at some point during the media caching, i checked in and it worked (but it wasn’t completed).

I checked back in a day later and… well, now I’m experiencing the ”Loading..., please wait!” message… and can no longer log in.

I’m able to SSH into the system and look through everything, but don’t seem to have any other access.

Any suggestions?