Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

New system installation, system re-install
StephenNaylor

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by StephenNaylor »

"2GB of storage is more than enough for regular use. You can just keep using it."

TMRoy, In another thread on 10th May you said this in a reply to one of my posts, "TOS 4 and earlier versions were born 12 years ago. At that time, 2GB was good enough to cope with various NAS applications. Now 2GB is not enough to support the latest system, you need more space. Or you keep running the previous version and not updating."

That is a very different message to the one you are giving to Jerusalem in your reply here.

Jerusalem. My NAS has been used to store files, run Plex Media Server. I had Docker installed but only used it a couple of times. That's about it. I used Plex Media Server to view photos, listen to music and watch videos. I consider this to be regular use. My NAS now has less than 200MB of space in the 2GB partition and according to TerraMaster's advice I now need to reinstall everything on my NAS from scratch.

If you are asking your question because you want to upgrade from ToS 4 to ToS 5.1 then everything i've seen here is pointing to re-installing from scratch.

One thing I've not seen discussed is this thread is this statement from the first post...

"In addition, the databases, application configurations, domain and more other tools added into "/" or "/etc/" by users are constantly occupying the space of the system partition. This is to say, in some usage scenarios, a 2GB system partition is not enough to support the latest TOS 5.1."

I haven't seen anything discussed about removing application data from / or /etc/ to help resolve this issue. Is there anything in that line of thinking that might help to reduce the partition size?

Also I would ask, if applications writing data to the 2GB system partition can cause issues then why would this only be an issue on ToS 5.1? That feels like it should also cause issues in ToS 4 too?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}StephenNaylor

More functions and applications require a larger system partition space. TOS4 has several cases where the system partition is blocked due to years and a large number of logs, and files are accidentally stuffed into the system partition through professional tools.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

StephenNaylor wrote: 19 May 2023, 03:44 I haven't seen anything discussed about removing application data from / or /etc/ to help resolve this issue. Is there anything in that line of thinking that might help to reduce the partition size?

Also I would ask, if applications writing data to the 2GB system partition can cause issues then why would this only be an issue on ToS 5.1? That feels like it should also cause issues in ToS 4 too?

In fact, you don't need to fight about the definition of regular users, you only need to pay attention to whether the 2GB space still meets your needs. As I said, the ever-increasing amount of database data, application configuration, and application data will all occupy your system partition. If your system partition is full, it means that 2GB is not suitable for you. Otherwise, you can of course keep using it until it's full. Even the 8GB space may be used up by some users in some days.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
StephenNaylor

Post by StephenNaylor »

Given that some people are running into issues with space in the system partition running out and people are being advised to rebuild their NAS from scratch to get round this it feels like there should be additional guidance provided by TerraMaster about applications which are known to write (lots of) data to the system partition and how to remove that application data from the system partition.

I'm sure that a lot of users would rather remove an application which is taking up the limited space in their system partition and it's associated data then rebuild their NAS from scratch. Even if this is just a temporary measure that helps them get their NAS up and running or improve the situation if they run into this space issue.

Similarly, if applications are known to do this, then is it considered bad practice ? If so, are TerraMaster talking to those application vendors to try to get this changed in future versions of those applications?

Can some guidance be provided on this topic? I'd see this as "Solution C", i.e. something else that users could try.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TMroy wrote: 19 May 2023, 09:39 Even the 8GB space may be used up by some users in some days.
So why not give the users the opportunity to select a space size of their choosing at time of installation?

2/4/8/16/32 - should be easy enough. Of course, you will still get users who don't read/understand/implement the covering instructions properly. On the other hand you won't have thousands of p*sse*d off users whose machines have failed them based on having an inappropriate setting forced on them without adequate means of correction.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
freman

Post by freman »

Gremlin wrote: 18 May 2023, 17:50
no solution was provided by synology support other than the current one from Terramaster (ie clean the drives and start again).
I was looking around,

btrfs can be shrunk
lvm can be shrunk
ext4 can be expanded
even md can be shrunk and expanded

it'd be a risky operation, but if it works it'll save you a heap of time (not copying the backed up data back)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Gremlin wrote: 19 May 2023, 18:35
TMroy wrote: 19 May 2023, 09:39 Even the 8GB space may be used up by some users in some days.
So why not give the users the opportunity to select a space size of their choosing at time of installation?
Not only system partitions, we also need to take into account data partitions, array formation and partition alignment, etc. It is a good idea to allow users to customize the size of system partitions, but it will also bring more challenges. We have no plans to do so for the time being.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I would like to explain to you that the system partition cannot be expanded online because other space on the hard disk except the system partition has been allocated to the data partition. If someone expects to extend the system partition with a third-party tool, the data on your data partition may be at risk, and we strongly advise against doing so, especially when you have already built an array of hard disks.

At present, there is no better way than backing up data and recreating all new partitions.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

freman wrote: 20 May 2023, 15:50
btrfs can be shrunk
I know very little about the practical implementation of TOS and new tricks are not my forte these days!
However, I would guess that it is not as simple as this.
The issue, in my mind, is not shrinking btrfs, but in moving it's start point and telling the system where that start point is. If it only concerned one disk it might be doable, but with several disks in a raid formation .....

My experience of "old" raid says it won't be pretty :roll:

Edit: Looks like we were cross posting.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

@TMRoy

Has anyone tried? (Just curious)