Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

New system installation, system re-install
topo01
Germany

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Soylent_Geek
Thank you so much! Yes I understand that deleting disk partitions will delete all data. The needed key word is 'custom' for the installation process! I think I already had the user permission issue in the past (perhaps when updating from 4 -> 5, can't remember exactly). What about the corrupted boot USB? How to repair it? Is it the 'bootloader' in the download section? Can it be uploaded through TNAS PC or do I need a special image copy tool? Thanks!
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
crisisacting

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Soylent_Geek
topo01 wrote: 16 May 2023, 13:17 What about the corrupted boot USB? How to repair it? Is it the 'bootloader' in the download section? Can it be uploaded through TNAS PC or do I need a special image copy tool?
Based on your post history, you have a ×86 based 220 unit, so you'd need to follow this guide to make a new initboot USB: viewtopic.php?t=1455
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}crisisacting

Thank you both!
That was really helpful!

(Funny how I only receive real help from other users and almost none from the support team...)
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
gaz2k1uk

Post by gaz2k1uk »

TMroy wrote: 14 May 2023, 20:41 The only way to extend the system partition is to back up your data and delete all current partitions on your computer, and reinstall TOS 5.1.
With this whole partition issue, after issues I managed to finally update to 5.1.34 but don't want issues in the future. I am using 1 of my 2 bays but wanted to get a 2nd drive anyway. Would I be able to remove the current one (BTRFS), set up a new drive, format and set up TOS 5.1 from new? Then place my old drive back in to access the data and move to the new drive before finally re-formating my old drive via PC? Is that the best way?
Setup:
System: F2-422
HD: x2 6GB IronWolf 6TB (RAID 0)
Notes: 8GB System Partition!

Backup:
USB COPY: Seagate 8GB External Expansion HDD
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Yes, you can go ahead this way.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Jesuralem

Post by Jesuralem »

I have the 2GB root partition but my Nas is working OK, what should I do ?

Do you plan to release a solution without having to reset the whole Nas ?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Jesuralem

2GB of storage is more than enough for regular use. You can just keep using it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
freman

Post by freman »

Hmmm A procedure for moving partitions around would be nice as cloning 26tb off for backups is kinda a lot of work.

Don't get me wrong, it is almost all entirely backed up (most of it come off an older array I have been working to shut down, and important things I have 3 or 4 copies of) it's just slooow.

Short of finding a procedure to expand the md9 volume, perhaps we can bind mount some things from the storage array?
Maybe boot of a bare bones (initramfs?) install on md9 then pivot_root to a system installed in the main volume?
Jesuralem

Post by Jesuralem »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Jesuralem
TMroy wrote: 18 May 2023, 09:47 2GB of storage is more than enough for regular use. You can just keep using it.
OK, what is the thershlod i should start worrying about ? Can i install updates until then ?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Short of finding a procedure to expand the md9 volume, perhaps we can bind mount some things from the storage array?
This situation is far from unknown. This morning I traced back as far as 2014 on synology community forum and
they had similar issues. Some workarounds relating to log files were suggested but, as far as I could see (it was a very long thread), no solution was provided by synology support other than the current one from Terramaster (ie clean the drives and start again).
google "Synology - expand root system file system"

The fact that Terramaster users are experiencing these same symptoms 10 years on speaks volumes :lol:
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.