Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

New system installation, system re-install
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by TMzethar »

Applicable models:
F2-220, F2-420, F4-220, F4-420, F5-420, F2-221, F2-421, F2-422, F4-221, F4-421, F4-422, F5- 221, F5-421, F5-422, F8-421, F8-422;
It also applies to individual F2-223, F2-423, F4-223, F4-423, if the hard disks in it were used on TOS 4.

Applicable version:
TOS 5.0 update to TOS 5.1

Symptom:
Recently, we have received feedback from some users that after updating to TOS 5.1(5.1.24/5.1.29/5.1.33/5.1.34), TNAS fail to reboot, not able to login TOS, TOS page has been stuck on a blank interface, or constantly showing "Loading..., please wait".

Failure cause analysis:
By analyzing some cases, we found that the reason for this issue is that the system partition storage space of TNAS has been exhausted, resulting in incomplete system updates and the system fails to boot. A common feature is that these devices all use TOS 4.x or even TOS 3.x as the initial system.

Compare to a 8GB system partition created by TOS 5, only 2GB system partition created by TOS 4.x/3.x . Since TOS 5.1 has more features, means system files require more storage space. In addition, the databases, application configurations, domain and more other tools added into "/" or "/etc/" by users are constantly occupying the space of the system partition. This is to say, in some usage scenarios, a 2GB system partition is not enough to support the latest TOS 5.1.

Therefore, if your initial system of TNAS was TOS 4.x/3.x, and the system partition is only 2GB, please do not update to TOS 5.1.

To check the free space of your system partition,
Go to "TOS > Control panel > System Info > Overview", and check free space from the item of "/" .

What should I do if I have failed to update?
If the update failure has already occurred on your device, the only way at present is to reinstall your TOS. Please reinstall TOS 5.0.176. We apologize for the inconvenience.
How to reinstall TOS?

What can I do for the future?
If your TNAS's system partition is 2G, you better stay at version TOS 5.0.176 and DO NOT update to TOS 5.1.
Since your disk space is already occupied by existing partitions, it is technically impossible to achieve a solution for system partition online expansion without data loss. If you like to use TOS 5.1, the only way now is to back up your data, connect your disks to PC and delete all partitions with disk utilities, and then reinstall a fresh new TOS 5.1 so that you can have a 8GB system partition.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
topo01
Germany

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by topo01 »

Oh no, I really can't believe you ran into this trap of a too small system partition and the USERS HAD TO PAINFULLY FIND OUT!

Reading this I can't help but getting emotional.

Now at least please give me advise on what do do:
My F2-220 is on 5.1.33 with 97.7% of system full (looking at "/"). Is there anything I can delete? Or can I safely go back to 5.0 without losing my data?

Thanks
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
lichkingxxl

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by lichkingxxl »

if i keep the nas in boot mode, i can get into it with putty and winscp.
Is there something I can delete to free up space and clear my nas?
I see many directories with numerical names (like 1,2,3,4...50,51,52...982, 983...) they all contain similar directories and files, it looks like they are system snapshots.. Could they be deleted without problem?
lichkingxxl

Post by lichkingxxl »

lichkingxxl wrote: 10 May 2023, 03:16 if i keep the nas in boot mode, i can get into it with putty and winscp.
Is there something I can delete to free up space and clear my nas?
I see many directories with numerical names (like 1,2,3,4...50,51,52...982, 983...) they all contain similar directories and files, it looks like they are system snapshots.. Could they be deleted without problem?
I have solved it by deleting all the contents of a directory called "lock", now I don't remember the exact path
lichkingxxl

Post by lichkingxxl »

TMzethar wrote: 09 May 2023, 19:06 Important Note:
Even after reinstalling the TOS 5.1 system, your TOS may not function properly in the near future due to running out of space on the system partition. If possible, we recommend that you backup your data, delete all hard disk partitions, and reinstall a fresh new TOS 5.1 to ensure stable operation of the system for long-term usage. Or keep using TOS 5.0.x system.
Please, post a guide on how to do a fresh install correctly
user222333

Post by user222333 »

My system partition is 98.1% busy.
This is bad?
The system does not notify of a critical situation
TheBoomKing

Post by TheBoomKing »

topo01 wrote: 10 May 2023, 02:39 Oh no, I really can't believe you ran into this trap of a too small system partition and the USERS HAD TO PAINFULLY FIND OUT!

Reading this I can't help but getting emotional.

Now at least please give me advise on what do do:
My F2-220 is on 5.1.33 with 97.7% of system full (looking at "/"). Is there anything I can delete? Or can I safely go back to 5.0 without losing my data?

Thanks
I'm in the exact same situation. 97.7% full on the same verson. I have no idea what to delete to free up some space. I wish someone would post what we need to do and exactly the best way to do it. What a pain in the butt this thing has been. At least the space issue expains why after installing an update it never boots up normally. I always have to manually shut it off. Then after a half hour I can finally log in. The admins here need to help us figure this out.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}lichkingxxl

If you want to reisntall a fresh new TOS 5.1 and make the system partition to 8GB, please backup first.
After the backup is complete, you can delete all the volumes and storage pools, connect the disks to PC to delete all hard disk partitions with disk manager or tools, and finally install a fresh new TOS 5.1.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}topo01

We've added some clarifications that you may care about.
If you want to further free up more space, you can consider placing some unnecessary log files under /var/log/.
lichkingxxl

Post by lichkingxxl »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

One last question... can it be the latest version of TOS, or does it have to be a specific version?

Thanks in advance