Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

New system installation, system re-install
lpic

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by lpic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

Last night I upgraded my F2-221 from version 5.1.33 to 5.1.34 immediately incurring the serious problem in question.
The fact is that TNAS-PC if I leave the two hard drives ( in RAID1) plugged in sees the device in the _Uninit state... , but if I restart it with the hard disks removed (to reinstall the old version you recommended) the device is not detected at all.
How can I fix this without losing the data ?
Thanks
lpic

Re: Fails to update TOS 5.1.x, the TOS webpage keeps showing blank after reboot?

Post by lpic »

I specify that in booting with HDs inserted three beeps are played, while with HDs pulled out the NAS does not even appear in the router's device list.
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}topo01
TMzethar wrote: 11 May 2023, 15:30 We've added some clarifications that you may care about. If you want to further free up more space, you can consider placing some unnecessary log files under /var/log/.
Thank you! However, I don't understand your guide in option B: Please explain why/how deleting a config file will help freeing any space. Also I don't like running my system permanently from USB stick (can kill the stick -> unreliable!). Or is this just temporarily to delete the config file? Also you suggest to move unnecessary logs to /var/log: Please explain WHICH logs that would be. Why not all of them? And HOW do I do that? Anyways it looks like I'm stuck and need to throw away everything in order to be able to increase the system partition. But my system is running right now (5.1.33) and it's really important to me to buy some time until I can do the re-partition. First I need a good strategy for the complete backup.
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

lpic wrote: 12 May 2023, 03:02 I specify that in booting with HDs inserted three beeps are played, while with HDs pulled out the NAS does not even appear in the router's device list.
Can you access your TNAS PC or browser when your TNAS rings three times?
You can reinstall the system: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=423
TNAS PC will not be able to search for TNAS if the boot does not ring three times when you do not insert the hard drive. You need to buy or recreate a USB Initboot: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}topo01

Deleting a configuration file means deleting an unused configuration file from a system partition that is used to restore system configurations.
USB Initboot is only used to install the system, TOS is stored on the hard disk.
If you don't configure other logs, you can leave the log path unhandled.
You can refer to Method B to access the system and back up your data.
If you still get stuck after using Method B, you can contact our technical support team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

@TMRyan
Thanks for clarifying!
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Can someone please point me to a detailed and safe instruction for increasing system partition?
Can it be done by a fresh manual installation of TOS5.1? Or do I need to connect my disks to a PC? I have 2 disks. Do I need to do the procedure on both disks?

Or is this instruction this on development by the TM support team and I just need to wait?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The only way to extend the system partition is to back up your data and delete all current partitions on your computer, and reinstall TOS 5.1.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Yes ok, I understand.
TMroy wrote: 14 May 2023, 20:41 ..., and reinstall TOS 5.1.
I have read through the various threads and guides but am really not sure how to properly do the re-install with TOS 5.1.
Also, can you confirm this will result in a larger (8 GB) system partition?
Can you please point me to the correct guide?

Thanks!
Soylent_Geek

Post by Soylent_Geek »

topo01 wrote: 16 May 2023, 01:44 Yes ok, I understand.
TMroy wrote: 14 May 2023, 20:41 ..., and reinstall TOS 5.1.
I have read through the various threads and guides but am really not sure how to properly do the re-install with TOS 5.1.
Also, can you confirm this will result in a larger (8 GB) system partition?
Can you please point me to the correct guide?

Thanks!
You need to backup all your data.

Remove the drives from the NAS, connect to a PC and in my case used Windows Drive Manager to delete all partitions on all drives.
*** THIS WIPES ALL DATA FROM YOUR DRIVES *** I warned you. ;)

Put the drives back into the NAS.

Boot the NAS and you should get the initialization screen.

Choose "Custom" and use the 5.1 install file of choice from the downloads section for your NAS. (Not the upgrade file)

Follow the prompts and you will have a fresh NAS with 5.1 and a properly sized partition.

With the exception of a corrupted Boot USB and discovering that permissions for User Groups need to be set correctly to see directories and files. (This one was so frustrating, lost my mind till I figured it out)

D