How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

New system installation, system re-install
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

Post by TMroy »

Applicable model: All TNAS models
(F2-422, F4-422, F5-422: Please use the 1000mbps interface when installing TOS.)

If you totally forget your username and password, or your TNAS encounters a failure and needs to reinstall the TOS, please refer to the following guidelines:

WARNING!
Since the TOS 5.1 system requires more space, if your initial system was TOS 4.x, and the available storage space of your system partition is less than 200MB, please do not update to TOS 5.1.

To check the free space of your system partition,
Go to "TOS > Control panel > System Info > Overview", and check free space from the item of "/" .

Method A:

1. Go to TOS > Control Panel > General Settings > System/Update & Restore > Default/Restore to Factory Default;
2. Check "Restore to Factory Default" and click "Apply";
3. After restoring the factory default, TNAS will automatically restart.
4. Please wait for about 5 minutes, use TNAS PC app to search for your TNAS device;
5. Clear browser cache;
6. Select the device and click "Login" to the "Initialization" page;
7. Follow the instructions on the web page to install the new TOS system.

Download the latest TOS installation package

Method B:

1. Turn off your TNAS device;
2. Remove all hard drives;
3. Turn on your TNAS;
4. Wait about 2 minutes, after the network light is on, use TNAS PC to search for your TNAS device;
5. Clear browser cache;
6. Select the device and click "Login" to the "Initialization" page;
7. Insert your hard drives;
8. Follow the instructions on the web page to install the new TOS system.

Download the latest TOS installation package

Note: Reinstalling the system normally will only resets the configuration and permissions but does not delete the data on the hard disks if they have been on the device before. BUT to prevent accidents, it is recommended to backup your data before reinstalling if conditions are sufficient. If you have any questions when operating the above steps, please contact us in time.
If it prompts "Format","Create","Delete"disk/storage/raid, please stop the operation immediately and Please prepare other devices or new hard drives to backup data. If you need help exporting data, please contact us.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sngillis

Re: How to re-install your TOS?

Post by sngillis »

I've done this twice now on my F4-210 and at no point in this process am I presented with an option to install a new OS. It merely loads the 4.1.32 version of TOS. When I click 'login', I go to the TOS desktop.

How do I get the new OS loaded?

PS I tried to simply update to 4.2.07 and it keeps hanging at the unzipping stage (it says it needs two minutes, but 2 hours later, it still needs two minutes).
emabia72

Post by emabia72 »

sngillis wrote:
> I've done this twice now on my F4-210 and at no point in this process am I
> presented with an option to install a new OS. It merely loads the 4.1.32
> version of TOS. When I click 'login', I go to the TOS desktop.
>
> How do I get the new OS loaded?
>
> PS I tried to simply update to 4.2.07 and it keeps hanging at the unzipping
> stage (it says it needs two minutes, but 2 hours later, it still needs two
> minutes).

Download the update file. It works.
hopps402

Post by hopps402 »

I just want to check. Per the note...

[quote=TMroy post_id=1693 time=1589263348 user_id=1656]
Note: Reinstalling the system will not delete the data on your hard drives. If you have any questions when operating the above steps, please contact us in time.
[/quote]

...that the data will not be deleted from the hard drive even though it specifically says "Data on Hard Drive(s) will be deleted!" so long as the data on the drives was previously on initialized drives?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}hopps402
This notice will be removed in future new release. BUT to avoid accidents, it is recommanded to backup data before your reinstalling.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
hopps402

Post by hopps402 »

TMroy wrote:
>
I cannot back up the data. When I try to access the NAS I get the following error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function read() on boolean in /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php:1143 Stack trace: #0 /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php(1119): storage->_getusbslot('/dev/sda') #1 /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php(868): storage->_readslot('../devices/plat...') #2 /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php(595): storage->_diskstat('sda') #3 /usr/www/wizard/index.php(12): storage->_block_free_list() #4 {main} thrown in /usr/www/include/class/storage.class.php on line 1143

Any link to help with this error would solve my actual problem.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
The system file and the file system may be damaged or missing, or the array may be damaged . Reinstallation can solve the former, you can try the method two. If you encounter the word "format", stop the operation and contact us.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
hopps402

Post by hopps402 »

TMS wrote:
>

In my case the file system wasn't damaged, only the TOS was corrupted. When I went through method 2, I was not asked to format the drives even though it gave me a warning. Before deleting this portion of the thread, perhaps consider adding a section under method 2 that states:

"Every effort should be made to back up the data before proceeding with TOS re-install. If this is not possible, you may proceed with the installation, but you may be asked to format the drives. If you proceed with format of the drives during the process, you will lose all data on the hard drives. If you do not wish to format and lose your data, please STOP and contact Support if you see the word "format" during the process."
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Good suggestion, We will take it into consideration.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
DonalOS

Post by DonalOS »

Just tried this process on F2-220, with broken TOS web interface..
on restarting with both drives ejected, it just beeps annoyingly every 10 seconds, LAN light never lights up (yes it's lan cable is in, with light on, but not flickering)
What next?