How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

New system installation, system re-install
iuliug

Re: How to reinstall TOS for your TNAS?

Post by iuliug »

powerQ wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 13:52 Pick the "custom".
Hi, did you choose that yourself and your data was safe?
followterry

Post by followterry »

I'm having same issues; no resolution.

The TOS install just hangs, nothing happens.

Did I buy a bad NAS backup system? Does this even work for anyone?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}followterry

Please provide the device model and TOS version, error screenshots.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
calamitywall

Post by calamitywall »

TMroy wrote: 12 May 2020, 14:02 Applicable model: All TNAS models

If you totally forget your username and password, or your TNAS encounters a failure and needs to reinstall the TOS, please refer to the following guidelines:

Method 1:
If your TOS system is still working, you are able to visit the TOS pages.

1. Log in to TOS and go to TOS Desktop> Control Panel> General Settings> Update and Restore> Backup and Restore;

control panel.png

2. Tick "Backup system configuration" to back up your system configuration;

backup config.png

3. Go to TOS Desktop> Control Panel> General Settings> Update and Restore> Restore to Factory Default;

restore factory default.png

4. Tick "Restore to factory default", and then click "Apply"; your system will be erased, but the data on the hard drives will not be deleted;
5. Refresh the browser page, and follow the guide on the page to install a new TOS;
6. If the page refresh fails, please use TNAS PC to search for your TNAS device; Then select the device and click "Login"; Follow the web page to install the new TOS;
7. After the system installation is complete, log in to TOS and go to TOS desktop> Control Panel> General Settings> Update and Restore> Backup and Restore to restore your backed up system configuration.
restore config.png
Note: After installation-restart-setting the account password, if it prompts to initialize the raid, please do not continue and contact our support team.

Method 2:
If your TOS system encounters a malfunction and cannot work properly.

1. Turn off your TNAS device;
2. Remove all hard drives;
3. Turn on your TNAS;
4. Wait about two minutes, after the network light is on, use TNAS PC to search for your TNAS device;
5. Select the device and click "Login" to the "Initialization" page;
6. Insert your hard drives;
7. Follow the instructions on the web page to install the new TOS system.

Download the latest TOS installation package

Note: Reinstalling the system normally will not delete the data on your hard drives, BUT to prevent accidents, it is recommended to backup your data before reinstalling if conditions are sufficient. If you have any questions when operating the above steps, please contact us in time.

Note: After installation-restart-setting the account password, if it prompts to create storage pool or initialize the raid, please do not continue and contact our support team.
I managed to reach the part where it's installing TOS. After the 10 minute countdown was over, I only see a "Loading..., please wait!". How long does this page usually last?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}calamitywall

This is generally related to the number of files you have. After reinstallation, the system will need to run some processes related to permissions. This will take a longer period of time.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
imcndn

Post by imcndn »

Hey all,
A friend of mine recently received a TerraMaster F2-221 from a family member who had passed away. That family member maintained the F2-221 as a plex server for the family to use.

Now that they have passed, no one has the TOS logn information. The server appears to run fine when powered on. Plex users are still able to access the existing files, however no one has the TOS login username/password

If I use Method #2 to reinstall TOS, will we loose the existing data on the drives?

Once TOS is reinstalled I assume we'll need to re-setup the plex server, correct?

Thanks,
imcndn
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}imcndn

Reinstalling TOS does not delete data, but requires reconfiguration of plex.
After installation-restart-setting the account password, if it prompts to create storage pool or initialize the raid, please do not continue and contact our support team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
klmjr22

Post by klmjr22 »

I am having the same problem as other users and have not seen any answers to the problem. My Tos is 4.2.08. Under general settings there is NO update tab. Otherwise it seems to be working. So I have attempted method 2 to reinstall the TOS. I turn off unit unplug all drives. Power on I get the beep every 15 seconds or so lan light never comes on. I even went so far as to remove the backup battery and short the contacts for 30 seconds still does the same thing. Is there any solution to this problem short of replacing the control board? I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate an answer. I have a TNAS-0049CB.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

klmjr22 wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 07:06 I have a TNAS-0049CB.
That's not the model number; that's the device name that uses part of the MAC address when it's initialized, which you chose not to change.

Login to your device, go to control panel & overview to see the actual model.
klmjr22

Post by klmjr22 »

It is a F4-220 model. I also tried inserting a formatted 2 gigabyte blank disk in slot 1 and never got the lan to activate. If I plug one of my actual drives in it goes right to the login and wizard and wants to format the drive so I backed out. Inserting all the disks back everything is back where it was.