How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

New system installation, system re-install
hochen

Re: How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

Post by hochen »

Hi all,

I am asking this question as I am new in the forum and I am trying to understand the differences between "Terramaster Bootloader" image in the download section of the website and the bzImage Method for the initboot.

The point is that a friend of mine is going to give me his used F5-421 (without hard-drives, I will install 2 of 14TB) but the original pendrive has been formatted and reused with Xpenology. My idea is to install TOS 5, but I am trying to understand what I have to do with the USB pendrive in order to be able to install TOS 5.

Can anyone explain me what is the "Terramaster Bootloader" image for? I have tried to burned in a USB stick but Rufus said the image is in an unknown format. So, if this is the content I have to put in the USB, how can I burn it?

Can anyone also explain me what is the bzImage method for? Is this method what I need to properly initialize my F5-421 from the very beginning?

To sum up, I am confused between "Terramaster Bootloader" and bzImage purposes.

Thank you very much in advance.
giampo91

Post by giampo91 »

Hi when I try to install bxImage via terminal I hahe this error: Impossibile find EFI directory.
Any solutions?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}giampo91

Please check if the USB drive is healthy and try to clean the partition of USB with your computer and try again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
giampo91

Post by giampo91 »

I've tried different USB drives and had the same problem. I deleted all partitions before starting the procedure. I have the latest version of Ubuntu.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}giampo91

Is the USB drive formatted as FAT32 file system?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TeramasterUser

Post by TeramasterUser »

Hello, I need to make a new bootable image. I have followed all of the steps involved when I turn on the F2-221 I get a screen that now says
GNU GRUB version 2.06
Could someone please help me out. Thank you
giampo91

Post by giampo91 »

The only way the only way I found to be able to create the usb was to download this file: http://dl.terra-master.com/cn/Guide-installation.zip
and not the one reported in the official guide
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: How to burn a new USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x86)

Post by Tricky »

{L_BUTTON_AT}thefatbloke
mgc6288 wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 04:29
TMzethar wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 21:41 Please check if the USB drive is healthy and try to clean the partition with your computer and try again. If the problem persists, you should be able to install TOS with it as well. If necessary, please contact the technical support mailbox.
Same issue: Installing for x86_64-efi platform. grub-install: error: /media/ doesn't look like an EFI partition How do I clean a blank partition? Just delete all partitions on the USB drive? Some sites say create a FAT32 partition. That did not work as well. PLEASE TYPE BASIC LAYMAN TYPE ANSWERS. BETTER YET, POST A DOWNLOADABLE IMAGE. THANK YOU.
I agree not everyone is comfortable with code, especially if you have never used Ubuntu, why can't TM just add a link to a downloadable replacement boot image for the USB?
titanrx8

Re: How to burn a new USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x86)

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}thefatbloke
Tricky wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 02:32
mgc6288 wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 04:29
TMzethar wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 21:41 Please check if the USB drive is healthy and try to clean the partition with your computer and try again. If the problem persists, you should be able to install TOS with it as well. If necessary, please contact the technical support mailbox.
Same issue: Installing for x86_64-efi platform. grub-install: error: /media/ doesn't look like an EFI partition How do I clean a blank partition? Just delete all partitions on the USB drive? Some sites say create a FAT32 partition. That did not work as well. PLEASE TYPE BASIC LAYMAN TYPE ANSWERS. BETTER YET, POST A DOWNLOADABLE IMAGE. THANK YOU.
I agree not everyone comfortable with code, especially if you have never used Ubuntu, why can't TM just add a link to a downloadable replacement boot image for the USB?
Exactly!
peddomgar

Post by peddomgar »

giampo91 wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 16:21 The only way the only way I found to be able to create the usb was to download this file: http://dl.terra-master.com/cn/Guide-installation.zip
and not the one reported in the official guide
I'm trying to download that link but doesn't works! My F2-220 is not connecting to network neither starting my hard drives and need to restore data urgently