How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

New system installation, system re-install
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: How to burn a new USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x86)

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
Will it become inaccessible even when the second hard disk is not used?
ralexlaptop wrote: 02 Jan 2022, 01:28 I was finally able to make some progress.  After not getting any responses that provided a solution from Support or the Forum ( viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&p=15449#p15449 ), I decided to take the unit apart.  It appeared that some of the solder joints maybe cold so I used a hot air gun to heat the circuit board.  After doing that, I actually started getting different symptoms.  The HDD lights turned off, the lights in the LAN ports (in the rear) came on even though the LAN lights in the front panel did not.  If I plugged only one HDD into the F2-420, the HDD light would turn green.  After a short wait, I was able to log into the web port.  Once everything stabilized with the one hard drive, I shut the unit down from the web interface.  I installed the second hard drive and turned the unit back on.  I logged back into the web and both hard drives were reporting with a Good or Healthy status.  In less than 30 minutes of everything looking normal, the unit went unresponsive.  When I turned the unit off and back on again, I'm now back to the original problem, both HDD lights stay red and I have no LAN light in the front or the back and it doesn't matter if the hard drives are inserted or not.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

Yes, the only difference is that it became inaccessible after 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
This may be a problem with the hard disk, file system, or hardware. May I have some information?
1. After booting without a hard drive, can TNAS be searched on the TNAS PC? If it can be searched, can you still use the browser to open the interface that shows that the hard disk is not detected after waiting for an hour?
2. If there is a new hard disk, what will happen if the new disk is used?
3.You can try to put the second hard disk in the first bay.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

1. After booting without a hard drive, can TNAS be searched on the TNAS PC?
If I don't apply hot air to the TNAS motherboard first, nothing works. The LAN port doesn't even activate.

If it can be searched, can you still use the browser to open the interface that shows that the hard disk is not detected after waiting for an hour?
Are you asking me to try heating the TNAS motherboard to make it accessible again and test how long it remains accessible without any hard drives inserted.

2. If there is a new hard disk, what will happen if the new disk is used?
The test that I performed with one hard drive was the new hard drive. My new hard drive is a Seagate. (I sent the screenshot via email, this forum does not allow me to post an image) My old hard drive is a Western Digital.

3.You can try to put the second hard disk in the first bay.
I haven't tried to swap the position of the hard drives. I'm not sure what that would prove.

Here is some additional information:
When I purchased the new hard drive, I also purchased a TNAS F4-421. I initially inserted the new hard drive (Seagate) with the old hard drive (Western Digital) in the TNAS F2-420 where a rebuilding process started. The rebuilding process had been running for 12 hours before I encountered the problem with the TNAS F2-420 not responding on the LAN. At the time of the failure, the rebuilding process was only 60% complete. I then had to insert the hard drives into the TNAS F4-421 so that the rebuilding process could continue from 60% to completion. That took about another 12 hours. After the two hard drives were synchronized, I shifted my attention to trying to understand why the F2-420 stopped responding on the LAN. When I entered my symptoms into the Forum, it led me to believe I had a initBoot problem. After trying all the various solutions offered, none changed my symptoms. Those symptoms were two Red HDD lights and a Green power light. No LAN lights on the front panel and no LAN lights on the ports.

My symptoms did not change until I applied hot air to the TNAS motherboard. By applying heat to the TNAS motherboard, the TNAS F2-420 became fully functional again but only for 15 minutes. I could then apply heat to the TNAS motherboard again and get another 15 minute of use out of it.

So now I'm at the point of trying to understand why does applying heat to the TNAS motherboard make it function and why only for 15 minutes.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

This should be a hardware failure, you can contact our service team for after-sales processing.
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

Hi,

Is there any such thing as help from TerraMaster Service?

I reached out to TerraMaster Service and was asked to provide a video of my problem.

I did: https://drive.google.com/video/captions ... vJC1_ejM3H

What is next?
TMAY

Post by TMAY »

They'll take care of after-sales issues for you
egresij

Post by egresij »

[root@TNAS-58BD ~]# /etc/init.d/mountusb start
mount usb storage...
[root@TNAS-58BD ~]# ter_wget http://download2.terra-master.com/bzImage
--2022-03-19 20:48:27-- http://download2.terra-master.com/bzImage
Resolving download2.terra-master.com... 47.254.187.171
Connecting to download2.terra-master.com|47.254.187.171|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 40395136 (39M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: 'bzImage'

bzImage 100%[===================>] 38.52M 11.3MB/s in 3.5s

2022-03-19 20:48:33 (11.0 MB/s) - 'bzImage' saved [40395136/40395136]

[root@TNAS-58BD ~]# cp ~/bzImage /mnt/bootdev/boot/
cp: error writing '/mnt/bootdev/boot/bzImage': No space left on device
[root@TNAS-58BD ~]#

Error writing USB boot, no space on device (?)
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}egresij
The /mnt/ is not under the ~ directory, ~ is just the user directory.
You need to switch to /mnt/ first by installing the steps in the manual.
By the way, you can buy a USB boot disk directly on Amazon