How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

New system installation, system re-install
crisisacting

Re: How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

Post by crisisacting »

Right click & download it, not by clicking it directly.
peddomgar

Post by peddomgar »

I've made the usb with the downloaded zip, put on device and power on, nothings happends, I still have network light off and no device found by terra master app

Gub installation says that can not embed but no error found.

Which format must have the USB drive?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}peddomgar
Is there a beep when you turn on the device?
If not, please take out the battery of the device, connect the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder with iron wire for 10 seconds, then assemble the device. Try again to start the F2-220, is there a beep? If not, your F2-220 is now unusable.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
BrutalDesire

Lights stay on red for both bays and no LAN light

Post by BrutalDesire »

Hi. So I have a F2-220 and am experiencing the same problem as someone else on here. Was working fine then it started making a tone and, as I wasn't home, someone turned the unit off. I thought it might be the initBoot and so I followed the instructions to create a new one. Upon attaching the USB (internally) after creating this and following the instructions, I am still getting no light for LAN and the solid red lights for HDD1 and HDD2 even when the bays are empty.

I will try that battery things later but wanted to ask, my setup was in RAID1 and wanted to know if the device is toast, I will just need to get another one (not really a big deal) but will installing the drives into a new device erase all the information or can it rebuild my raid setup? Am I able to just plug one of the drives into my PC to access my data that way and maybe back it up before putting them into a new device?

In regards to the removal of battery and connecting the two terminals (I have not seen the battery when I opened the unit up so will look later for it), if I do this is this what makes the unit unusable or is this a way to confirm the unit is beyond repair?
titanrx8

Re: Lights stay on red for both bays and no LAN light

Post by titanrx8 »

BrutalDesire wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 12:40 Hi. So I have a F2-220 and am experiencing the same problem as someone else on here. Was working fine then it started making a tone and, as I wasn't home, someone turned the unit off. I thought it might be the initBoot and so I followed the instructions to create a new one. Upon attaching the USB (internally) after creating this and following the instructions, I am still getting no light for LAN and the solid red lights for HDD1 and HDD2 even when the bays are empty.

I will try that battery things later but wanted to ask, my setup was in RAID1 and wanted to know if the device is toast, I will just need to get another one (not really a big deal) but will installing the drives into a new device erase all the information or can it rebuild my raid setup? Am I able to just plug one of the drives into my PC to access my data that way and maybe back it up before putting them into a new device?

In regards to the removal of battery and connecting the two terminals (I have not seen the battery when I opened the unit up so will look later for it), if I do this is this what makes the unit unusable or is this a way to confirm the unit is beyond repair?
One of my f2-221's has experienced a number of suspected hardware failures as diagnosed by TM support. Each time, they wanted me to short the battery terminals. That was never the solution IMHO. I have rebuilt or updated the internal USB key twice. The second time, I replaced it with a high quality name brand USB FIT size stick.

As far as reading your disk on a PC, if you use Ext4 you can install an Ext4 utility on the PC to read your data and back it up. I don't know if this will work if you use btrfs.

BTW, the last time I pulled my raid1 set to upgrade TOS, the system automatically updated the init boot before proceeding with the new installation. I was fully backed up but my data was still on the disks. My next update will require data restoration because I have to get the system partition to increase to 8gb.

Good luck.
shad

Post by shad »

Greetings,

what is meant by this part of the initial post:
TMSupport wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 15:59 [...]
Solution 1:
If you have a spare drive that contains a TOS system and can boot normally:
1. Plug in the drive to your TNAS, and boot the system.
[...]
I mean we are in a thread about a faulty initBoot, but you ask if there is "a spare drive that contains TOS system and can boot normally". What does that mean? Where is it supposed to boot?

Also if you ask if the device beeps on start up: is it supposed to beep always, i.e. regardless of if there HDDs plaugged in or not, or does it usually beep only with HDDs plugged in?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}shad

You may have installed a disk for TOS, and you may also be able to use it to start TOS. In this case, you can use a simple method to repair initboot USB.

What is said here is a beep. A beep indicates entering the BIOS, indicating that the device itself is still available
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
shad

Post by shad »

Thank you for your reply.

As for my first question: it's still not really clear to me and it sounds irritating, but ok, maybe it's just me. I don't think it applies to my case, so nevermind.

As for my second question: I wanted to know, if the device is supposed to beep only if HDDs are installed, or if it is also supposed to beep without any HDDs installed.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}shad

Question 1:
The Operating system TOS is typically loaded on a partition on each disk so that, in the event of one disk (of 2 or more) failing then another can provide the OS. This has nothing to do with the internal USB. The internal USB just provides a default boot system and fetches the default OS to install on the disks if nothing else is available. Typically TOS is installed as a mirror raid. If you want the latest TOS for your install you will have to download the installation package (.INS) and manually/custom install that when prompted. The 'default' TOS maybe version 4 which is limiting and will cause issues if you want to install TOS 5. (search 'System partition size')

Question2:
As I see it, the system should always load BIOS regardless of whether disks are installed or not. So it should 'beep'. Bios determines disk status. No 'beep' indicates a hardware issue preventing bios loading.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
TMqiky

Post by TMqiky »

{L_BUTTON_AT}shad

Hard disk drive installed, beeps once when turning on device.
Three beeps when the device is turned on without the hard disk drive installed.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @