F2-210/F4-210 is bricked after TOS update? (How to reset the kernel)

New system installation, system re-install
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-210/F4-210 is bricked after TOS update?

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, for warranty issues, please contact the site where you purchased.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Mdman

Post by Mdman »

Hi there am having exactly the same symtoms.
All four Led indicators on and no ethernet led.

I have tried to reflash the internal USB with a copy of bzimage and have removed reinserted the cmos battery but problem still exists.

As this is obviously a common fault as reported my many people can engineering please tell me if this is a hardware issue or not . If hardware issue what is the cause? As mine is now out of warranty.

I also tried the recovery method as described in this thread using an external USB.... This did not work... Should it really be formated to FAT when trying to recover a 210 ARM NAS?

Many thanks Richard

My tnas is f2 - 210

Many thanks Richard
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Mdman

Hi Please try to unplug all hard drives and boot it again to see if the TNAS PC can search for the device IP.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Mdman

Post by Mdman »

Hi many thanks for reply

I have the h HDs removed same problem
There is no Link light on ethernet port theredore I cannot connect to the device and obviously it has obtained no ip address. Ethernet cabled is OK.

Symstom all same an initial beep then all 4 front leds green.. No ethernet led lights

I assume engineering have an Idea what the problem is as I assume this is a common fault

Many thanks for your help
Richard
Mdman

Post by Mdman »

Hi there.. Would appreciate any help on this as to what the cause it as mentioned this looks to be a common fault

If it is a hardware issue what is the likely cause?

If it cannot be fixed is it possible to get a new motherboatd from terramaster if so how do I go about getting one.. Many thanks Richard
TMAY

Post by TMAY »

I don't quite understand what you mean, can you describe it in detail?
MasterR3C0RD

Re: F2-210/F4-210 is bricked after TOS update? (How to reset the kernel)

Post by MasterR3C0RD »

Howdy friends! I wanted to give a little explanation of my experience and how I repaired my F2-210 that was bricked.

In order to figure out what was wrong, I had to connect to the COM port inside of the HW (4 pin connector next to the front panel connector). Hooked it up and was looking to see when the device would try to read firmware.img. Never did though, and dropped me into a u-boot console. Wasn't looking too good for trying to get it working again.

What it did try to read, however, was openwrt-rtd1295-nas_spi-rtk-spi-8M-initrd-sysupgrade.bin. Renamed the firmware.img file on the USB, unplugged and plugged back in the device, and after a screen full of ".....", my little F2-210 that'd been dead for over a year booted TOS. Exciting!!!

So if following the first post of the thread failed, and you want to try a surefire way to fix your device, rename firmware.img from the first thread to openwrt-rtd1295-nas_spi-rtk-spi-8M-initrd-sysupgrade.bin and give it about 10 minutes. You'll be happy to see that your 210 is back to life!

And no, it won't turn off automatically. You'll see the Ethernet port bursting with activity though!
MasterR3C0RD

Post by MasterR3C0RD »

Mdman wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 21:39 Hi there.. Would appreciate any help on this as to what the cause it as mentioned this looks to be a common fault

If it is a hardware issue what is the likely cause?

If it cannot be fixed is it possible to get a new motherboatd from terramaster if so how do I go about getting one.. Many thanks Richard
The cause is as TM says: the kernel image can sometimes get corrupted. From what I saw on other threads, it was a problem mostly related to updates on beta releases of TOS.

On boot, the device attempts to read the kernel image from NOR flash, and attempts to check its signature. If that check fails, it'll try to boot from a TFTP server address built into the device (since I fixed mine, I can't repro atm), and when that fails, it tries to read a new copy of the image and flash that.

If both of these fail, then it goes into u-boot's console, and gets stuck there. Unplugging and plugging back in the device starts the entire process from the beginning. You can't access the console unless you open the device and connect to the COM port, so your only option is to go through USB to fix it, which should work fine.
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport
Does RTD1296_1328_V4.9.6 on boot (empty disk bay) denotes latest firmware.img version (F2-210 1G model)?
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
rubenvh

Post by rubenvh »

Hi!

The link to the F2-210 2G model firmware seems to not work