How to Install and Initialize My Newly Purchased TNAS Device?

New system installation, system re-install
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

How to Install and Initialize My Newly Purchased TNAS Device?

Post by TMroy »

How to install and initialize my newly purchased TNAS device? How can I get started?

Applicable model: all TNAS models

Applicable TOS versions: TOS 4.x, TOS 5.x

Overview
A complete installation of a newly purchased TNAS device includes the following parts:
  • 1. Hardware installation includes hard drive installation;
  • 2. The operating system(TOS) installation;
  • 3. Basic system and storage configuration;
  • 4. TOS on web browser login;

Step by Step Installation Guide and Troubleshooting:

1. Find the Quick Guide
Find a quick installation guide flyer in your product packaging; Input the URL address shown on the flyer in your web browser. If you did not find such a flyer in your packaging, or you just missed it. Please visit the following link to get started. https://start.terra-master.com
start.jpg
Input your email address, select your model number or product ID, and click "Start".
quickstart (1).png
To find out your model number or product ID, please find a label on the bottom of your TNAS device.
model_number.png
2. Hardware and Hard Drive Installation
Follow the instructions to install hard drives, connect power and LAN cable to your TNAS device, and power it on;

Important!
To avoid system crashes and data loss, you need to refer to the compatibility list and select the correct hard drives. Using an incompatible drive, desktop hard drive (for example Seagate Barracuda green drive), or an unhealthy drive with bad sectors or blocks, may cause an issue like system installation failure, system crash, or even data loss.

Troubleshooting:
If your TNAS fails to detect your drive during installation, please refer to the instructions viewtopic.php?f=75&t=574

3. Find Your TNAS Device on The Network
As soon as your TNAS device is ready, input the following address in your web browser address bar: http://tnas.local
The page will bring you the TOS setup guide. Please follow the step-by-step guide on the page to finish the new device setup.

Note:
1. Web browsers like Google Chrome, macOS Safari, and the new Microsoft Edge are recommended.
2. Make sure your TNAS device and your computer are on the same network segment.

If you fail to connect to your TNAS device by http://tnas.local, you can download the "TNAS PC" desktop application, and search for your TNAS by running the TNAS PC on your Windows or MAC computer. Highlight the TNAS on the list and click "Login";
1TNAS PC.png

Troubleshooting:
TNAS PC fails to find your TNAS? please refer to troubleshooting viewtopic.php?f=76&t=3815

4. Install TOS for Your TNAS
Please follow the prompt to install TOS, it is recommended to use the option "Online installation". If you do not connect your TNAS to the internet or you are just not able to do that, you can download the TOS installation package and install it manually.

To download the TOS installation package, please visit https://download.terra-master.com/
To avoid installation package damage during downloading, please check the MD5 value before you install it.

After the TOS installation is complete, your TNAS device will restart automatically.

Attention!
1. The installation package is a .ins zipped file, you can use it directly for installation and DO NOT unzip it!
2. TOS installation may take about 5~10 minutes, if the system needs to update the kernel, that may take even longer, in this case, it is going to take about 20 minutes. DO NOT cut off power before it finishes, or your device may be bricked.

5. System Configuration
As soon as your TOS is successfully installed, you will be prompted to set some basic system configuration.
Username: default as admin;
Password: you have to remember it and you need it to log in to your TOS;
Security email: it is an email address that you can use to reset your password in case you forget it; It is recommended to finish this verification.

If you forgot your password, please refer to the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=434&p=1757#p1757

6. Storage Configuration
Only when you select "Manual installation", you have to configure your storage step by step, or the system will configure the storage by default.

Attention!
The system will format your drive after the system and storage configurations finish. Any hard drive you install into your TNAS device will be formatted during the initialization! please backup your data on your drive before you do that!

Troubleshooting:
If the RAID formatting stuck at 10%~80%, or you always be prompted that the RAID formatting fails, please refer to the troubleshooting: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=574&p=2398#p2398

7. Log in TOS
To set advanced settings for your TNAS or try to install an application, you need to log in to the web base TOS.
To login TOS, please input the IP address or your TNAS hostname on the web browser address bar, for example, //192.168.1.10/ or http://hostname.local/

Troubleshooting:
1. If you forgot your password, please refer to the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=434&p=1757#p1757
2. If you are stuck at the "Loading..." bar in the background after you input your username and password, you can't log in to TOS, please change your web browser to Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari recent version instead;
loading.png
loading.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 15629 times
3. You are constantly prompted to input your username and password on the TOS login page even if you input the correct credentials, this means that the system's database may be corrupted and you will have to reinstall the system. please refer to the instructions to re-install your TOS. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423

If you need support, please visit https://www.terra-master.com/support/
support.png
Attachments
quick_guide.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
photojoe1978

Re: How to install and initialize my newly purchased TNAS device?

Post by photojoe1978 »

I did the install and the system rebooted, but the browser has been on the "Loading..., Please wait" for almost 24 hours. So I guess my question is this normal? If this is normal how long should I continue to wait? If it still doesn't finish loading what are the next steps to try to finish setting up the NAS.

A little more info about this initial install. I installed 4 18tb hard drives and all the hard drive lights are green. The LAN light is flashing green.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

You can try clearing the browser cache or changing the browser login, or use TNAS PC to click login.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Teamslug

Post by Teamslug »

Hello I hope you can help, and i realise this question must have been asked many times before. I simply can not detect/find my TNAS Ive followed the steps in the guide and still nothing the PC software finds nothing.
The hardware installation went as it should, the unit is on with a full set of green lights, but I cant find it? I have the PCsoftware installed and the app on my phone/Ipad.

Can you help? and apologies I am not awash with technical knowledge, but I have followed the steps in the guide but still nothing? I'm sure its simple but I just cant see the solution.

Thanks
photojoe1978

Post by photojoe1978 »

TMRyan wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 17:42 You can try clearing the browser cache or changing the browser login, or use TNAS PC to click login.
TNAS PC doesn't pick up the NAS. This makes me think that it has not finished whatever operation it was doing after the initialization/setup restart.

I also just tried a different browser and when I navigate to the IP address for the NAS I still get the Loading... Please Wait messaging.
photojoe1978

Post by photojoe1978 »

TMRyan wrote: 05 Nov 2023, 17:42 You can try clearing the browser cache or changing the browser login, or use TNAS PC to click login.
I finally just hit the power button to shut it down and then restarted it. Once it restarted I was able to finish configuring the NAS. Just weird that it won't get past the Loading screen until it was restarted again.
sergy17

Post by sergy17 »

Good evening.
Purchased the F2-212 device.
After installing TOS5.1 and a long (several hours!!!) synchronization of a TRAID volume (BTRFS file system) of two disks, the system worked with 100% CPU load, and after a reboot, it is impossible to log in. I can't log in to the system via SSH either.
How can I reset the device to its original state? Judging by the sound, it is in a cyclic reboot and does not even respond to the shutdown button. :?
TNAS F2-212
sergy17

Post by sergy17 »

Continue... removed the hard drives, deleted the partitions. I have reinstalled TNAS. Chose Ext4 as the file system. The system works very slowly almost all the time. The jbd2/md 9 service (as far as I understand, this is logging the file system) constantly loads the processor, even when no actions are taking place (I haven't installed any software yet). And most importantly, after the shutdown, the operating system crashed again. SSH access does not work. I bought this unit, believing the commercials and beautiful pictures on the site... But it seems to be a rare hemorrhoid for geeks.
TNAS F2-212
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sergy17
We have not received similar feedback. Please contact the customer service window or technical support email on the official website homepage. We can arrange for an engineer to help you troubleshoot the issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

I have a question about installing TOS 5.1.95.

I have a F4-220 that I want to install the newest TOS (5.1.95) to. I downloaded the .ins file for TOS and followed the instructions for initializing the system. I have 3 hard dries - 3x8TB and 1x6TB. During the install process I NEVER got the chance to determine which type of RAID I wanted. The install automatically set up TRAID. I wanted a JBOD system.

I tried both the automatic install and the manual install. In both cases the system set up TRIAD as the RAID system.

Is there any way to get a different RAID setup when installing TOS 5.1.95??

Thank you . . .
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)