Can't start Transmission after updating TOS?

TOS application, TNAS PC, TNAS mobile
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Can't start Transmission after updating TOS?

Post by TMzethar »

Troubleshooting

Applicable TOS version: TOS 4.x

Applicable models: all TNAS models

If you cannot start Transmission after you update TOS, even if you have tried to uninstall and reinstall Transmission, please do the following.

1. Log in to TOS and uninstall the Transmission application
2. Log in to SSH, execute "sudo -i", switch to root user How to log in to the SSH terminal?
3. Then execute the command:

Code: Select all

find / -path '/mnt/md0/application/transmission' -prune -o -name 'transmission' -print -exec rm -rf {} \;
4. Reinstall the Transmission app
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Romario

Re: Can't start Transmission after updating TOS?

Post by Romario »

Hi. Please tell me how can I delete the "Transmission" folder after deleting the app? Thanks in advance.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Romario
Have you read the main text? The method has already been written on it.
If this is not what you want, please provide some descriptions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Romario

Post by Romario »

Thanks. I am Windows user and I just started learning Linux. The command in the post isn't clear for me :-( but I read the manuals and used command "find". Result is "find: ‘transmission’: No such file or directory". What are my next steps?
And how can I use Windows PowerShell instead of PuTTY with 9222 port? PowerShell is more friendly (copy/paste works there).
Romario

Post by Romario »

I realized my mistakes. On Linux, case has a value in the file name. I found the Transmission folder in Volume1 and deleted it with the rmdir command (I deleted the subfolders in advance). Why don't work the commands help, info, man in the terminal? I wanted to see help information to the commands directly in the terminal.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Linux manual pages are readily available on-line in various places. However, remember that TOS is, in effect a partly stripped down linux in some ways as may be found in embedded systems and partly runs on BusyBox (I believe). Add in modifications made by TM to increase security (as they see it ;) and you can find that things don't run as expected. (Plus different versions of Linux can do things differently anyway.) However I can say that 'find' does work as I use it myself in scheduled commands to find and delete files. Also fairly standard 'helps' can be found in the cli.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
Romario

Post by Romario »

Thanks. But could you explain what is "cli"?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

"command line interface"
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
Romario

Post by Romario »

Thank you for the explanation.
The problem has not been solved as it turned out. I don't see the "Transmission" folder in the NAS file manager but from a Windows computer (SMB) I see it anyway (PC & NAS rebooting didn't help). How can I fix this?
It seems to me that not being able to manage root folders from the NAS file manager is not a good idea. Perhaps I have a bad knowledge of the structure of the system, so it seems to me so.
Romario

Post by Romario »

I tried to install Transmission again and uninstall it again, then run the command from the first post - the folder is in place now everywhere (web, Samba) again.
It's strange that it doesn't bother other users. After all, this is a common strategy to install the application, try it, and if you don't like it, uninstall it. After removal, tails should not remain or they should be easily removed, isn't it?