TNAS PC did not find your TNAS?

TOS application, TNAS PC, TNAS mobile
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

TNAS PC did not find your TNAS?

Post by TMzethar »

Troubleshooting

Applicable models: all TNAS models

If the TNAS desktop client cannot search for the TNAS device, the device cannot be initialized and cannot be used.You can log in to the router to check whether TNAS is in the connected list of the router. The following are the common reasons and countermeasures for the TNAS desktop client not searching for TNAS:

Reason 1: TNAS PC version does not match.
Countermeasure:
If the version of your TOS is TOS 4.x, Please use an older version of TNAS PC that is more compatible with it:
https://download2.terra-master.com/Terr ... .2.0.6.zip
If the version of your TOS is TOS 5.x, upgrade the TNAS desktop client to the latest version. Please visit the Download Center on the official website to download the latest TNAS desktop client according to the model of TNAS. After installing the TNAS desktop client, search again.

Reason 2: TNAS cannot be connected to the network.
Countermeasures: Please check whether the indicator of the router or switch port connected to the TNAS is normal and flashing. If the indicator is not normal, it means that the TNAS is not connected to the network. Please change a network port or change a network cable and try again.

Reason 3: The hard disk in the TNAS device may be damaged or the hard disk may not communicate correctly with the TNAS device.
Solution: When the hard disk is working normally, the indicator light should be green. Please check the hard disk indicator of TNAS. If the hard disk indicator is red, it means the hard disk has failed to start. Please unplug the hard drive that shows the red light after shutting down, reinsert it into the slot, and then restart TNAS. After restarting, if the TNAS client still cannot find the TNAS, please replace the new hard disk and try again.

Reason 4: TNAS and the computer are not on the same network or Vlan network.
Countermeasure: If TNAS and the computer are not on the same network, the TNAS desktop client will not be able to search for TNAS devices. Please connect the TNAS and the computer in the same network.

Reason 5: The Windows computer has set its network to an untrusted "public network" which usually comes with a strict firewall configuration.
Countermeasure: Go to Windows Settings>Network&Internet>Ethernet>Click your connection>change your Network Profile to "Private".

Reason 6: The computer uses 2 or more network cards.
Countermeasures: When the computer uses multiple network cards at the same time, conflicts will occur, which will cause the TNAS to be unable to communicate with the computer. In this case, please turn off the other network card and keep the network card in use.

Reason 7: The computer firewall blocked the TNAS PC.
Countermeasure: Please manually change the firewall in Windows Security>Firewall&network protection>Allow an app through firewall where you can chenge setting, check "TNAS PC" and confirm to allow TNAS PC to pass through the firewall.(If you are using a third-party firewall, you can only inquire about the solution by yourself)

Reason 8: If it is not searched during the installation process, it may be that the hard disk contains other operating systems.
Countermeasure: Please turn on the system without installing the hard disk first, and then install the hard disk after entering the installation boot system.

If you still encounter a problem in finding your TNAS on network, you can try following solutions:
1. Input //tnas.local/ on your web browser;
2. Find your TNAS with the TNAS mobile application, to install TNAS mobile: https://support.terra-master.com/download/
3. Find your TNAS IP from your router, and input the IP address on your web browser to get started;

Reason 9: Newer models require a newer version of TNAS PC to search.
Countermeasure: If you are using the 223/423 model, please go to the Download to install the new version of TNAS PC.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
letsfixitquick

Re: TNAS PC did not find your TNAS?

Post by letsfixitquick »

If you did all of these steps and nothing is working I would suggest opening the TerraMaster unit to gain access to the battery on the motherboard. remove it for 1 to 2 mins and try again.. this was the only fix that worked for me after spending 3 hours to fix it.
brian666

Re: TNAS PC did not find your TNAS?

Post by brian666 »

I did all those steps (well, except for the Windows-related ones, I use Linux). I also used nmap to search all 192.168.x.y addresses. Nothing, the device (an F5-221) was simply not responding. I also tried the sadly-out-of-date Ubuntu desktop client. It only works with Ubuntu 18.04, which is four full versions behind the current version (22.04 LTS or 22.10). Having set up a virtual machine running Ubuntu 18.04, that didn't find the device either, although al least the software didn't crash!

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, and without my changing anything on my PC, the device started responding, and I am now copying files to it. I'm a little uneasy about a device that suddenly starts working, I wonder whether it is suddenly going to stop working again, but since this device is my final backup unit (I have individual cross-disk backups of the important stuff outside of the NAS), I'm willing to take the chance.

Is it possible that the device was initialising all this time? I don't know, I have no idea whether a device that is still initialising would simply fail to respond or not, but it's the only thing I can think of. If it was still initialising, then it took the device almost three weeks to set up and initiaiise 5x14TB drives in a RAID-5 configuration.