How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86)

New system installation, system re-install
titanrx8

Re: How to burn a new USB boot flash for X86 models?

Post by titanrx8 »

After creating the new boot USB drive, can I install it onto the system board USB slot (after removing the old corrupt drive) or does the new USB drive have to be plugged into the external USB slot?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

You can plugged it inside or outside.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

TMS wrote:
> Thanks. I have the unit disassembled so it'll go inside. Borrowing a CentOS system to burn the new boot drive in the next day or so.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Finally had a chance to burn the new boot USB, actually a Linux guru friend did it for me since my attempts to follow the instructions at the top of the thread failed.

My friend first tried using an Ubuntu virtual machine but the paths were getting messed up so he built a CentOs system on bare hardware. The batch file provided in the download package didn't work so he hand built the directories and loaded the components manually using the corrupted USB as a guide. The new USB was installed on the system board, system was reassembled and it booted properly.

I have the OS loaded and running temporarily with an old drive just to check everything out before changing out the drive for a new one and putting the unit back in production.
finhj

Post by finhj »

I want to point out - make sure if you're doing this that you only have one USB drive plugged in at the time you run make_install, unless you like gambling.

This is important because the script looks through your drives, and picks the first one that identifies itself as USB to flash.
DaQu

Re: How to burn a new USB boot for your TNAS?

Post by DaQu »

Sadly the script is not working for me. I'm getting this errors:

#########mkfs ext4#############
mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)
/dev/sdb1 contains a ext4 file system labelled 'UTOSBOOT-X86-S64'
last mounted on /media/pi/UTOSBOOT-X86-S64 on Sun Aug 29 18:56:28 2021
Proceed anyway? (y,N) y
/dev/sdb1 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!
#########install grub###########
grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/arm64-efi/modinfo.sh does not exist. Please specify --target or --directory.
cp: can't execute stat on '/media/pi/UTOSBOOT-X86-S64/grub.cfg': No such file or directory
cp: can't execute stat on '/media/pi/UTOSBOOT-X86-S64/bzImage': No such file or directory
#########done##################
################COMPLATE!!!###################
root@raspberrypi:/media/pi/UTOSBOOT-X86-S64# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount: /mnt: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist.
root@raspberrypi:/media/pi/UTOSBOOT-X86-S64#

Please help, I'm losing my mind :(
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}DaQu
Please execute:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/

wget https://download2.terra-master.com/bzImage.zip

unzip bzImage.zip

chmod +x grub.cfg make_install

./make_install
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DaQu

Post by DaQu »

TMSupport wrote:
>
Omg, thank you! After many failed attempts on CentOS, I've finally made my USB using Ubuntu 18.04! It looked like new CentOS is having grub2-install package installed by default, which wasn't recognized by script. However after changing it with nano text editor to "grub2-install" command it still was throwing error with grub boot pattern not recognized or something, which resulted with not booting anyway.

So for everyone having issues with second (grub installation) step I recommend using Ubuntu 18.04.5-desktop-amd64 instead of any CentOS distro.

Cheers!
splaquet

Post by splaquet »

anyone else have this issue?

`
# wget
-bash: wget: command not found
`
splaquet

Post by splaquet »

looking through the forum, I found this command:

/usr/bin/ter_wget

seems to work. ...but, why don't you extend the shell functionality? it'd be so nice if we could install our own 'environment' scripts, to taylor the environment to our comfort.