How to set FTP remote access?

SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, Rsync
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: How to set FTP remote access?

Post by TMS »

Hi,
Have you turned on the FTP service of your computer?Can you use Winscp,Filezilla and other software to connect and view TNAS files?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
unixtall

Post by unixtall »

i tried with fillezilla and explorer and nothing. Something has to be wrong.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
unixtall

Post by unixtall »

Sure, i will contact them via email. Thanks you
mark_wilson

Post by mark_wilson »

FTP functions on a client-server model. The server hosts the files to be shared and the client provides the interface to access, download, or upload files to the file server. The computers transferring the files can be within the same network where the FTP server is configured, as well as outside the network (over the internet). FTP uses two ports, one for connection and one for sending data.

FTP can run in two modes: active and passive. And, it uses two channels between the client and server: the command channel and the data channel. The command channel is for sending the commands and responses, and the data channel is for sending the actual data. As for active and passive modes, in active mode, the client launches the command channel, and the server establishes the data channel. In passive mode, both the command and data channels are established by the client.

Most organizations prefer passive mode. In this mode, the client initiates both channels; therefore, the organization has little or no alterations to make on the client firewall. The connection is from the client to the server, and the data will be return traffic to the client. Overall, organizations can allow their users (clients) to connect to FTP servers without compromising network security.

Setting up FTP in passive mode

Primarily, the command channel is opened by the client to the FTP server on port 21. The client also opens two random, unprivileged ports on the client (typically a port greater than 1023). We’ll call the first port P and the second port P+1. The FTP client initiates the connection to the server by sending a PASV command. The client connects to the server from port P to server port 21 with the PASV command. The server then opens another unprivileged port Q (any port greater than 1023) and sends the port information back as a reply to the PASV command. Now the client initiates the connection from port P+1 to port Q on the server to start the data transfer.

Steps:

The client contacts the server using the PASV command on port 21.
The server replies using port 2000. Here, port 2000 is the port the server will be listening to for the data connection.
The client initiates the connection from port 1025 to 2000 (on the server).
The server sends back the ACK (acknowledgement).

I hope this information will be helpful!

Mark Wilson
nscian123

Post by nscian123 »

Hello,

I am trying to access my tnas server off of my own wifi network. When using FTP I am only able to access my nas when I am on the same wifi network. Using the TNAS online is very limiting and I would like to access my files and back up my devices no matter where I am. Do you have any suggestions? I have heard of using Webdav but cannot find any information on it. Thank you for your time and assistance.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

You can set remote access to tnas.online and DDNS on the TOS desktop.
jeankdavis

Post by jeankdavis »

nscian123 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access my tnas server off of my own wifi network. When using
> FTP I am only able to access my nas when I am on the same wifi network.
> Using the TNAS online is very limiting and I would like to access my files
> and back up my devices no matter where I am. Do you have any suggestions? I
> have heard of using Webdav but cannot find any information on it. Thank you
> for your time and assistance.
1. Remote login via TNAS.online. Administrator need to enable TNAS online remote access before using the function.
To Set Up TNAS.online:
1.Go to TOS Desktop> Remote Access> TNAS.online;
2.Check "Enable TNAS.online remote access";
3.Register a "TNAS ID" and remember your TNAS ID. TNAS ID is the unique ID bound to your TNAS device. If the ID you entered is already in use, please try another one;
4.Click "Apply". To use TNAS.online on either a Windows or a Mac computer, please enter TNAS.online/TNAS ID in the browser address bar, if your TNAS ID is Jack2010, please enter "TNAS.online/Jack2010".
2.Remote login through DDNS. DDNS is the abbreviation of Dynamic Domain Name Server. DDNS should be set and used according to the following steps: The following are DDNS setting and the use steps
1.Go to TOS Desktop> Remote Access> DDNS;
2.Check "Enable DDNS";
3.Select a DDNS server;
4.Please fill in the information obtained when registering the DDNS service;
5.Click "Apply";
6.When the TNAS setup menu indicates "Connected", DDNS has been successful set up.
jeankdavis

Post by jeankdavis »

To Use DDNS for Remote Access (Windows and Mac computers apply):
1.Please enter the domain name and port number (given by your DDNS provider) into your browser's address bar, then hit "Enter";
2.Enter your TNAS username and password, then click "Login".

Hope this will help and if you need any assistance you can check this blog https://itprospt.com/remote-desktop-can ... -computer/
xordiet

Post by xordiet »

Hello,
I have recently acquired a F4-210 and have moved all the information from an old NAS to the Terramaster using Rsync. I put all the data in the "public" folder and am now moving it to the different shared folders I have set up.
To move the files between folders I use Filezilla connecting via FTP.
It has worked fine except when I try to move the files to an encrypted folder.
The encrypted folder I have unlocked correctly, and I can upload a file from my pc without any problems, but it won't let me move folders from "public" to the encrypted folder.

I have tried to log in via ssh, but it doesn't recognise the user's password. I can log in via ssh with the admin user (root in ssh) but admin has not been given permission to the encrypted folder, so he can't see it.

Is it possible to move the files from filezilla, without going through the pc?

Thanks