Virtual box not works after last TOS 5 update

Install virtual machines on your TNAS;
tasete30

Virtual box not works after last TOS 5 update

Post by tasete30 »

Hello,

After last update when I try to load Vb I get this error

An unknown PHP error occurred. This is most likely a syntax error in config.php in phpVirtualBox's folder. The most common errors are an unclosed quote or a missing semicolon in a configuration item that has been entered (e.g. location, username, or password).

Depending on your PHP configuration, navigating directly to config.php in your web browser may display the PHP error message.

VB is just installed with all data deleted so I'm not sure the reason for this behaviour.

Could you check if the las TOS update is involved with the error or this version in app store?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Virtual box not works after last TOS 5 update

Post by TMzethar »

Could you please provide some screenshots for our reference?
We'll check to see if the problem you're having can be reproduced.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

I'm also having a problem with Virtual Box. Is it the case that bringing up the console requires Adobe Flash? Because no modern browser that I know of runs Adobe Flash these days.

--
Chris
virtualboxFlash.png
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

bidmead wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 18:41 I'm also having a problem with Virtual Box. Is it the case that bringing up the console requires Adobe Flash? Because no modern browser that I know of runs Adobe Flash these days.

--
Chris

virtualboxFlash.png
yes,you need to install Adobe Flash.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

Many thanks for clarifying that, @TMwuu.

Adobe Flash was deprecated by Adobe as long ago as 2017 and EOLed in Dec 2020. The last of the major browsers to support it, Opera, now actively blocks Flash content (see attached picture).

With TOS 5.0, Terramaster has removed the dependence on Adobe Flash from the now very much improved Remote Access feature. Yet this widely abandoned technology is still haunting corners of TOS like Virtual Box (and, apparently, this phpBB Forum?).

I understand that Adobe Flash is still used in China. But Terramaster deserves sales across the world.

--
Chris
No Flash for Terramaster.png
No Flash for Terramaster.png (21.88 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

VirtualBox is a thridparty app, you need to contact the developer about why they still need adobe flash.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

Thanks, @TMRoy. It's actually the phpVirtualBox wrapper, currently maintained by SmartGuide in Australia, that is asking for Adobe Flash. I've dropped them an email to ask about this and will report back here when I get a reply.

--
Chris
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

It seems that the use of Adobe Flash to show the phpVirtualBox WebUI was always something of a kluge. Because PHP is stateless it knows nothing of the Virtual Box user interface and without Adobe Flash there's no way, Tudor Holton at Smart Guide tells me, of conveying it to LAN clients.

"The inclusion of an Adobe Flash console feature will be removed by the next release," Tudor says. He suggests that a Virtual Box wrapper using Apache Guacamole might fit the bill, but this seems to be out of the scope of phpVirtualBox.

There is probably a use case for Virtual Box on a NAS without a WebUI but I can't think of one.

--
Chris
ianaway

Post by ianaway »

Hi,

I also have the folowing error message :

An unknown PHP error occurred. This is most likely a syntax error in config.php in phpVirtualBox's folder. The most common errors are an unclosed quote or a missing semicolon in a configuration item that has been entered (e.g. location, username, or password).

Depending on your PHP configuration, navigating directly to config.php in your web browser may display the PHP error message.

If find that this is not the case, or have no idea what this error message means, please raise the issue at https://github.com/phpvirtualbox/phpvirtualbox/issues

------
I have 2 Terramaster NAS and one is working, a F2-220 is working just fine with TOS 5.0.171 installed, same TOS version on my F4-423 but it's not working on the F4-423.

I've tried to reinstall the app, no result.

Any Idea ?