USB: no devices available

Install virtual machines on your TNAS;
wiss

USB: no devices available

Post by wiss »

Hi!

First post here, loving my F4-422 so far. Just one issue...

In VirtualBox I can't map any USB devices to the guest machine. I have tried some things but none seem to work:
  • I have made sure that the Extension Pack is installed, which it is.
  • In order to be able to access USBs the user has to be in the vboxusers group. However, this group didn't exist (there was a vbox group and a vbox user).
  • I have created the vboxusers group and added my user, "root" and "vbox" to this group. I have also added the same 3 users to the vbox group.
  • The devices are listed when doing a "lsusb" from an ssh, but within VirtualBox when I try to "Add filter from device" the box only says "<no devices available>".
  • USB flashdrives work well within TOS but they don't show either in VirtualBox.
  • I have also tried to manually add a filter filling only the vendor and device ID listed with "lsusb" but it doesn't work.
Any help would be really appreciated.
wiss

Re: USB: no devices available

Post by wiss »

Hi!

Second and last post here, still loving my F4-422 so far. Just one advice in case someone arrives here with the same issue...

Install Unraid.

It is on a completely different league. Terramaster hardware is great (I am really happy and grateful for it). However, software and support leave much to be desired.

Btw, I have been able to install an 8GB RAM module without issues so far (12GB total), and the fifth HD bay is working (at least on Unraid). I just taped an SSD with velcro against the inner side wall and used a SATA cable extension to plug it in (using it for cache).