Is there anybody happy owning a TNAS?

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
Gianluca

Is there anybody happy owning a TNAS?

Post by Gianluca »

It is months that I am struggling to make working this device. No way.
I wonder if I am the problem, my files, my HDDs or the system.
Reading the posts, it seems I am not alone. What is wrong Terramaster?
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Re: Is there anybody happy owning a TNAS?

Post by Gandalf1369 »

To answer your question in the topic title - YES! I am very happy owning and using a TerraMaster NAS.

I currently have two NAS's. A F5-221 which I use as a Plex Media Server, and a F4-220 which I use as a media backup and has Docker Manager installed with 4 active containers. I also had a F2-220 which I have given to my son and he has had no problems with it.

Overall I think TerraMAster is a fine brand of low cost NAS that delivers well for home and small business use.
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
fabdg

Re: Is there anybody happy owning a TNAS?

Post by fabdg »

Gianluca wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 23:53 It is months that I am struggling to make working this device. No way.
I wonder if I am the problem, my files, my HDDs or the system.
Reading the posts, it seems I am not alone. What is wrong Terramaster?
Ciao Gianluca, you are not alone. I've an F2-210 and I got the same exact behavior. I've done some debugging using the terminal and apparently the issue is that the NAS goes OUT OF MEMORY as soon as you initiate any meaningful file transfer (in my case, the SAMBA process allocate all the memory and the OOMKILLER is invoked by the linux Kernel).

It seems to me that the current firmware has not been designed / well tested with the more 'Home consumer' devices (I bet it will work well on all of the other NAS with more RAM).

Terramaster if you are there, please give us a sign... the NAS as it is today it's completely UNUSABLE.