No desktop icons at all CPU 100%

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
wonkie

No desktop icons at all CPU 100%

Post by wonkie »

I have a F5 221 and just updated to TOS 5. It worked fine for a few days then it went offline. When it rebooted the cpu was always at 100%. BTRFS Cleaner was taking up most of the cpu in processes. The cpu would stay at 100% for a few minutes then the server would go offline and could not be reached. I read a few things on this forum and rebooted and shut off snapshot thinking that it would help. After shutting off snapshot the cpu was back and forth between 50% and 100% and the server would go offline again after a few minutes. Now when I reboot the server the desktop does not have any programs/icons so I can't get into the settings or anything. I need some help. For the few minutes, it is accessible after a reboot I can access the drives through SMB and I can click on the resource monitor in the top right to see that the cpu is still between 50% and 100%. I can't access the setting from the desktop so I can't do anything to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: No desktop icons at all CPU 100%

Post by TMroy »

As the btrfs file system defragment was set as default when the system reboot, so this process may take a while and yes also a lot of system resources. You can wait for the process to be complete or you can update the system to TOS 5.1.17, the btrfs file system defragment has been disabled in the new version.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

Great! The problem with this solution is that since I can't access the control panel I can't apply an update. Is there a full install for 5.1? I've tried to let it just run for 2 days and it still was not responding. The lights were indicating disk activity. Since I have 32TB of drives I'm afraid it will take a very long time to finish the defragmentation. Any suggestions?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

If you haven't updated to 5.1 before, you can't install TOS 5.1 directly because of the bootloader version matching problem, you can only update from 5.0.176 to 5.1 first.
If you can log into the SSH terminal, you can try to manually disable btrfs filesystem defragment.
Edit the following file and change "autodefrag" to "noautodefrag".
/etc/tos/conf/tos.ini
/etc/tos/scripts/compression
/etc/udev/scripts/scsi_disk_auto
/etc/udev/scripts/usb_disk_auto
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

So I guess I'm just stuck waiting for 30tb to defrag. I still have no icons on the desktop so I can't enable ssh to stop the autodefrag. I tried rolling back to 4.2 but it did not work. I can't update to 5.1.17 because I don't have a control panel icon to apply an update. This isn't very reassuring.
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}wonkie

It is recommended that you submit a request through the customer service window on the homepage of the official website or the technical support mailbox to let the engineer install the system for you remotely.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

By now I know I will not get any useful answers but how would I turn on permissions for remote access when I don't have any icons to access the control panel?
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

ok, here's an update. I rebooted my NAS and the drives failed to mount but TOS loaded the icons. So I was able to change the settings to allow ssh but I could not access my data. I rebooted and then the same thing again no icons. When I ssh into the NAS I just get "End of keyboard-interactive prompts from server" and no prompt. So, my question is there a way to boot and not have my data mount so the os loads? In hindsight, I should have tried to update to the beta os.