High utilization (System is sluggish)

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
las68

High utilization (System is sluggish)

Post by las68 »

Hello there!

Model: U12-322
TOS version: TOS_X642.0_5.0.176,

Performance is very poor, system continuously reports "System is sluggish".
How to fix it?
Attachments
2022-12-29_09-42-09.png
2022-12-29_09-42-34.png
2022-12-29_09-02-44.png
2022-12-29_09-05-30.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: High utilization (System is sluggish)

Post by TMroy »

We will fix it in the new release.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
las68

Post by las68 »

When do you plan to realise it ?

As a workaround. Reboot helps for some time.
Soylent_Geek

Post by Soylent_Geek »

I have an F4-220 and I am experiencing the same issues with the latest OS build.

It is only being used as a Plex Server and even when it isn't being used I get a lot of warning e-mails that the system is sluggish.

I played around with some settings thinking it was something I configured wrong, but apparently this is a known issue (as stated above)

Is there a way to put all settings back to factory without losing all my data and shares etc?

When will the next OS build be released?

D
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Soylent_Geek wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 02:51 When will the next OS build be released?
5.1 beta hasn't been extended to 220 series yet but when it is that'll be the next build unless there's another 5.0 release just to resolve this kind of issue.

They also have released out of band patches in the past but not with TOS 5, yet.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

When the system prompts slow running, you can view the processes in the control panel and click CPU sort to check which processes occupy a large amount of CPU and memory. If you do not use this function, you can disable it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
demetalgimp

Post by demetalgimp »

RAM utilization is 40%. I don't know the number of page faults. Would it help if I added more RAM?
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Hello, I am getting about one “sluggish” email a day since I updated from a late TOS 4 version to TOS 5.1.13 on my F5-422. I know that my Samsung QVO SSD for music as Volume2 is getting full and these drives are very slow for writing. But I mainly use it for reading. Also, it is taking a long time just to get a count of files and overall storage size via Windows File Explorer Properties for my video files as Volume1, and that volume has four WD Red 10TB in RAID 0. Note: The high CPU usage on the evening of 25-Feb is from using PLEX to play a 4K movie. I can no longer use Kodi 20 for this on account of messages from Kodi about slow data... Note: The 10G NAS and the 1G Nvidia Shield are connected via a 10G switch.

I am considering four alternatives:
1) Wait for Terra-Master to fix something
2) Take the 4TB Volume2 SSD out, add a fifth 10TB WD Red and build an all-new 5-disc RAID 0.
Note: I have three back-ups of everything. I do not use a NAS for back-up purposes.
3) Put an 8TB Volume2 SSD in instead
4) Get a new NAS with a more powerful processor

Comments from Terra-Master and recommendations welcome!

PS: I updated the Terra-Master certificate already... please automate...
Attachments
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 1.jpg
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 1.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 2 System Overview.jpg
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 3 Load and CPU.jpg
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 4 Memory and Read Write and Network I-O.jpg
TOS 5.1.13 update makes for sluggish system operation - 4 Memory and Read Write and Network I-O.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Carousel
This issue has been fixed in the new version, please update. TOS 5.1.22
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Hello, I experienced only limited improvement using this update... and the same 90% full Samsung 4TB 870 QVO. Read times remained very slow and upload speeds were only like 20 MB/s, compared with over 100 MB/s before.

So I swapped in a new Samsung 8TB 870 QVO. Upload speeds increased to in the range of 50-80 MB/s. But this is still down from over 100 MB/s that I could get with the 4TB drive last year, before changing up to TOS 5 this year. Read speeds also remained very slow.

Note: I also have the problem other have of not being able to navigate to Volume 2 in Plex anymore in order to scan in music. A least I could type in the mapping manually and it worked. I only reactivated Plex, though, after completing other speed tests mentioned above via Windows File Explorer.