Updated to TOS 5.0, moving files results in 100% CPU

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
Ddx30

Updated to TOS 5.0, moving files results in 100% CPU

Post by Ddx30 »

How do I regret updating... started by one of the discs not being added to the Raid 5, so teh volume was degraded, whatever I did made no diffeence, could create another volume on teh not recognised disk, but couldn't add it to the Volume where it was before the update. Ha da spare HDD a bit larger, added, rebuilt, resync 3 days later everything seems OK. Then Try to get files sorted so I can get an SMB mapped on my computer as it was before (new user, admins and so on) then try to move files on the file manager (can't access them from my computer yet) and the CPU goes to 100% and "system sluggish" warning comes on. And does not stop. Stays at 100%.Till I reboot and then is OK again... till I try to move files. The process monitor does not show any process going bananas, all rather low (4-5% tops) but teh indicator stays at 100% and the system IS indeed sluggish. Also I can't actually move files in bulk, moving a folder does not move all folders inside, only a few, often only one seems random choice, but never all of them.
I see moderators suggesting over and over ssh'ing to the NAS... done ssh before, have a couple of Raspberry pi around and I access them mostly through SSH, but This is a machine that worked nicely under 4.2 without having to do any of that, I wanted a ready-made NAS (as opposed to a DIY) precisely to avoid having to do those things, and yet seems that for all the Fanfare of TOS 5.0 I should have better stayed in the previous version...
TMnight
TerraMaster Team

Re: Updated to TOS 5.0, moving files results in 100% CPU

Post by TMnight »

Is it still? What is your device model, current version, and browser?
Did you clear your browser cache after upgrading to TOS5? Is media indexing enabled?
Please login to SSH and enter df -h to see if the md9 usage is at 100%?
Ddx30

Post by Ddx30 »

Model is a F5-221, 5.0.176.00227, I've tried with Firefox and Brave, and I cleared a number of times the cache of both firefox and windows and accessed it from other computers in the network. Media indexing in not enabled. Same behaviour. Once I restart the NAS all returns to normal, no more 100% CPU usage, but as soon as I try again to use the file manager to move files it all restarts... maybe too many files at once? is just a few folders and move inside the NAS...
TMnight
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMnight »

How many files did you move at once? Was it a single large file or many small files?
Ddx30

Post by Ddx30 »

Is a folder with pictures, each one about 20 -25 Mb, but I just restart, tried with a few documents and a couple of folders, some 2-3 Gb all together, and there we are again on 100% CPU ... will leave it see if it stops. Meanwhile I did try moving teh files I see from my windows computer and the moving of some 8-9 Gb did not make the CPU to spike much (did not go beyond 20%, but wasn't looking all the time, did not get sluggish though)
jhalfhide

Post by jhalfhide »

I'm also having constant CPU spikes and sluggish behaviour, when reading/writing. My main use is as a Plex/Sonarr/Radarr server and I'm constantly getting emails about my server being "sluggish". Only an issue since TOS 5. Really regretting that I "upgraded".
F2-422 running TOS 5.1
Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/SabNZBD
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}jhalfhide

It's just so dumbfounding. The usage of system resources depends on the workload. Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past. In order to allow users to fully grasp the running status of TNAS, TM's engineers have developed better user perception functions in TOS 5.0. If you don't want to receive similar notifications, just choose to turn off some notifications.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jhalfhide

Post by jhalfhide »

{L_BUTTON_AT}jhalfhide
TMroy wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 21:44 It's just so dumbfounding. The usage of system resources depends on the workload. Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past. In order to allow users to fully grasp the running status of TNAS, TM's engineers have developed better user perception functions in TOS 5.0. If you don't want to receive similar notifications, just choose to turn off some notifications.
It's not just that it notifies where it didn't before. It runs sluggish where it didn't before and the NAS basically becomes unresponsive until it recovers. Plex will hang in the middle of streaming until TOS recovers. When Plex hangs, I try and see what's going on but TOS webpage is inaccessible for a short while whilst it recovers. When it does load again the icons take a while to load after login. In the few minutes it takes for TOS to recover, I'll get an email about it running sluggish. If it recovers before Plex times out, Plex will continue playing. TOS 4 ran exactly the same setup flawlessly.
F2-422 running TOS 5.1
Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/SabNZBD
Ddx30

Post by Ddx30 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}jhalfhide
TMroy wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 21:44 It's just so dumbfounding. The usage of system resources depends on the workload. Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it didn't happen in the past. In order to allow users to fully grasp the running status of TNAS, TM's engineers have developed better user perception functions in TOS 5.0. If you don't want to receive similar notifications, just choose to turn off some notifications.
I don't care about notifications, is the systems that runs *very* slow doing something it is supposed to do (it is a Network Attached STORAGE) to the point it becomes useless, it didn't behave that way before, thus the update/upgrade is not such if it ends not doing what it was designed for, so those Engineers you praise better figure out how to correct this behaviour, because if moving some files makes the NAS CPU go to 100% till you reboot, we have a problem, THAT is what I found dumbfounding. That, and the language in your message.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Just check which process is busy from "control panel > resources > processes".
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)