Excessive CPU & Heat warping HDD Bracket

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
titan5

Excessive CPU & Heat warping HDD Bracket

Post by titan5 »

NAS F5-221
I constantly have CPU utilization & heat warnings
Today I had a RAID #1 Exception error and when I pulled the drive I found it very hot. Further inspection shows the hard drive rail system is almost melted and warping. I then checked other four drives and found them to be the same, the plastic HDD rail / bracket system is showing signs of excessive heat and warping the rail system.
Fan is on SMART AUTO
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Excessive CPU & Heat warping HDD Bracket

Post by TMroy »

Please check if your fans are defective. try to restart your tans, and are fans still working?

Please tell your TOS version, and keep the TOS updated.When you clear the faults, you can contact our service team for the drive tray replacement.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titan5

Post by titan5 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
TOS 4.2.39-2203011626 Fans are working Low ~820RPM, CPU 38*-39*, Device 58*-60*, Disks 45*-46* Med ~1445RPM, CPU 38*, Device 56*, Disks 46* Full ~ 2000RPM, CPU 34*, Device 51*, Disks 45* SMART FAN 1680RPM, CPU 38*, Device 54*, Disks 46* At least three of the drive trays are badly melted/warped like the img attached. Is it possible excessive heat from NAS damaged drive (see post RE RAID Drive Failure viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3341)
Attachments
melted drive tray
melted drive tray
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Did you cover your tnas with clothes or something else?
At present, I have no idea what happened. Did you restart or shut down your tnas? if not, you can download the system log and send it to us so that we can know what happened.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titan5

Post by titan5 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

The NAS is/was never covered and there is nothing on top of it. There is at least eight inches clear behind, eight inches clear on the right, three inches clear on the left and nothing in front of it. It is clear all around.

Where can I send the process log and the system log? How do I get new drive trays?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i really dont know if it helps in the slightest but my F2-210 is locked in a comms cabinet with no extra cooling and is sitting at 36c CPU, 31c HDD with the fan speed at around 1700 rpm
F2-210

Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

As the HDDs are in contact with the plastic carrier, I would say you have had a gross overheat of one or more of the HDDs rather than the CPU etc, the HDDs are quite a mass so once hot enough they will retain heat and affect the plastics, do the HDDs still function?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}titan5

Please go to TOS desktop> Technical support> Report issues to generate system report and send to our tech team.
You can contact our service team for the drive tray replacement.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

That's weird! If the fans working well, the drives has no chance to be so hot to melt the tray.
Please email to our service team, and attach the link of this post to them. Ask them to replace new tray for you. How many tray melt by the way?
titan5

Post by titan5 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
I have sent support files as requested, they have moved the ticket to New Egg Support @ Terramaster (purchased from New Egg). No answer yet on replacement drive trays. All five are warped but #2, #3 & #4 are the worst with #3 the worst of those. Seems heat was concentrated around middle drive bay and expanded out from there. #3 worst, #2 & #4 bad, #1 & #5 minor HDD#3 had RAID 1 exception error (see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3341) Had to replace drive with new drive (same make and model) and let system rebuild RAID. Discovered warped drive trays when I tried to remove/replace HDD#3