NAS very unresponsive even with near zero load

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
aigarius

NAS very unresponsive even with near zero load

Post by aigarius »

Hello,

My F2-221 NAS with 4.2.09 software (update from 4.2.08 did not help) has been showing weird issue for the past week or so. The NAS behaves as if it is overloaded, but no load of any kind can be found.

Symptoms: I can connect via ssh as root and run commands, but even something as simple as running "dmesg" can take a minute to complete and web login page takes a couple minutes to download the background image for the login screen, login javascript fails to load, if I can log in, it takes minutes for the configuration window to show any content.

Attempted debug steps:
* both web ui and top show very low CPU and RAM usage 3-5% and 25% and basically no network activity
* There was a Home Assistant running on the Docker application (deployed about the same time the issue started) - stopping it did not help
* Stopping Plex server did not help
* upgrading to latest software did not help (NAS auto-upgraded to 4.2.08 from something from December 2020 around the same time as issue started)
* restarting several times did not help
* turning off UPnP and disabling all port redirects towards the NAS from the router did not help
* unmounting the NAS from all devices did not help

I am frankly unable to figure out what could be going wrong. Any further debug steps I could do, preferably from ssh?

As part of Home Assistant installation I also did port forwarding of external ports 80 and 443 to internal NAS ports 1080 and 1443 and then, via nginx in Docker to Home Assistant. And I also noticed that port forwards for other NAS services (like ssh, ftp and telnet appeared in my router configuration, even if I did not ask for them, likely via UPnP). Could there be some kind of malware on my NAS now?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: NAS very unresponsive even with near zero load

Post by TMroy »

The symptoms show your hard drives may be faulty, please backup your data and have a drive health check as soon as possible.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
aigarius

Post by aigarius »

Well, somehow that helped, even if no issues were found. Removed both hard drives, connected them to a Windows PC and checked with the tools from each drives manufacturer (Seagate and WD) using full disk scan, took 6 hours for 4Tb drives - no errors detected, put the drives back and ... it just started to work normally again.

The NAS software is also running off the hard drives, right? It would be nicer if the NAS software was on a separate flash memory, so that its functionality is independent from the hard drives. And there should be some kind of messages showing up when this kind of thing happens. I was unable to see anything in the UI notifications or in dmesg.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

aigarius wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:49 The NAS software is also running off the hard drives, right? It would be nicer if the NAS software was on a separate flash memory, so that its functionality is independent from the hard drives.
i'm glad im not the only one to have raised this
F2-210