TNASDBD Process using 100% cpu

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: TNASDBD Process using 100% cpu

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scrums
Can you describe the problem you encountered in detail?
So that we can better understand your problem.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

TNASDBD Is constantly using a large amount of CPU time. One person said this was an indexing process.

Is there anyway of disabling this? What is the indexing process for? And why do I need it?
Attachments
Services
Services
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

You can kill this process via SSH connection.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

TMRyan wrote: 28 May 2021, 18:32 You can kill this process via SSH connection.
I realise that but I don't want it to ever start if it is not necessary. Do I have to rename it to stop it running?
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scrums

When I set up my new F2-221, I switched to EXT4 with no snapshots instead of BTRFS with snapshots. I haven't seen TNASDBD take over the CPU since then.

I also changed my PC backups to incremental file backup on the NAS so I'm not depending on the NAS to maintain the incrementals. Of course this means that I have no incrementals for files stored only on the NAS so I backup the NAS more often.
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scrums
titanrx8 wrote: 28 May 2021, 22:55 When I set up my new F2-221, I switched to EXT4 with no snapshots instead of BTRFS with snapshots. I haven't seen TNASDBD take over the CPU since then. I also changed my PC backups to incremental file backup on the NAS so I'm not depending on the NAS to maintain the incrementals. Of course this means that I have no incrementals for files stored only on the NAS so I backup the NAS more often.
Thanks titanrx8 but this doesn't really solve my problem. I want to continue to use BTRFS. I am currently searching through the TOS scripts to see if I can find more information about this process.
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scrums
Scrums wrote: 30 May 2021, 18:42
titanrx8 wrote: 28 May 2021, 22:55 When I set up my new F2-221, I switched to EXT4 with no snapshots instead of BTRFS with snapshots. I haven't seen TNASDBD take over the CPU since then. I also changed my PC backups to incremental file backup on the NAS so I'm not depending on the NAS to maintain the incrementals. Of course this means that I have no incrementals for files stored only on the NAS so I backup the NAS more often.
Thanks titanrx8 but this doesn't really solve my problem. I want to continue to use BTRFS. I am currently searching through the TOS scripts to see if I can find more information about this process.
Okay I have narrowed this down to Redis server. Not exactly rocket science as the line above in services is redis_server. I'm struggling to see why I need this. Can it be removed or disabled? I use Emby and as far as I can see it doesn't depend on Redis. I would like to try disabling it. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scrums
Scrums wrote: 30 May 2021, 22:43
Okay I have narrowed this down to Redis server. Not exactly rocket science as the line above in services is redis_server. I'm struggling to see why I need this. Can it be removed or disabled? I use Emby and as far as I can see it doesn't depend on Redis. I would like to try disabling it. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
I assume Redis server is needed as I tried shutting down the Redis server and was no longer able to log on to TOS or SSH though I was still able to access folders and files.. Out of interest I ran: # redis-cli 127.0.0.1:6379> DBSIZE (integer) 113 That means that the TNASDBD database only has 113 keys. So why on earth does it use so much CPU to reindex?????
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

Scrums wrote: 31 May 2021, 00:00

I assume Redis server is needed as I tried shutting down the Redis server and was no longer able to log on to TOS or SSH though I was still able to access folders and files..

Out of interest I ran:
# redis-cli
127.0.0.1:6379> DBSIZE
(integer) 113

That means that the TNASDBD database only has 113 keys. So why on earth does it use so much CPU to reindex?????
1. Is Redis indexing all my data? That I do not know yet…
2. I don't think there is any way (that I can see anyway) to exclude folders from Redis
3. Looking at the Redis.conf I can see that compression is turned on:
# Compress string objects using LZF when dump .rdb databases?
# For default that's set to 'yes' as it's almost always a win.
# If you want to save some CPU in the saving child set it to 'no' but
# the dataset will likely be bigger if you have compressible values or keys.
rdbcompression yes

If Redis is just storing TOS configuration surely compression is not needed?
Scrums

Post by Scrums »

Scrums wrote: 31 May 2021, 14:58
Scrums wrote: 31 May 2021, 00:00

I assume Redis server is needed as I tried shutting down the Redis server and was no longer able to log on to TOS or SSH though I was still able to access folders and files..

Out of interest I ran:
# redis-cli
127.0.0.1:6379> DBSIZE
(integer) 113

That means that the TNASDBD database only has 113 keys. So why on earth does it use so much CPU to reindex?????
1. Is Redis indexing all my data? That I do not know yet…
2. I don't think there is any way (that I can see anyway) to exclude folders from Redis
3. Looking at the Redis.conf I can see that compression is turned on:
# Compress string objects using LZF when dump .rdb databases?
# For default that's set to 'yes' as it's almost always a win.
# If you want to save some CPU in the saving child set it to 'no' but
# the dataset will likely be bigger if you have compressible values or keys.
rdbcompression yes

If Redis is just storing TOS configuration surely compression is not needed?
I downloaded a trial of an Excel connector add-in and could see that the Redis Is only recording system events such as high disc temperature. From TOS I cleared all notifications. There are now only four keys in the database. I will keep monitoring to see if this grows over time and has any effect on CPU usage for TNASDBD.

I am an SQL DBA. I am used to seeing high CPU usage when re-indexing an SQL databases. However, with so few rows I would not expect high CPU usage. I still don't know what's going on there. The CPU usage seems ridiculous for such a small database.