CPU at 100%

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
WhatIsThis

CPU at 100%

Post by WhatIsThis »

I love my terramaster NAS that I got on prime sale on amazon and recommended it to some friends as a good price worth NAS but my NAS has been running at 20-100% CPU most of the time even though the only app I have installed is PLEX which I don't even use. Any help would be appreciate.
I used to have 4.1.xx OS and ahd the issue but I just updated an hour ago to 4.2.xx and the issue remains.
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: CPU at 100%

Post by sianderson »

if you look at Control Panel, Resource Monitor, Process it will tell you what process is using the CPU, we could guess forever and a day and be wrong :)

although I have a cheaper model, my CPU sits at 3% with plex installed but no one watching any content from it, however plex does initially use a lot of processing power while it creates a library, downloads all the artwork, thumbnails etc
F2-210

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Yes, that's right. Please check at Control Panel, Resource Monitor, Process and take a screenshot to show us which process is occupying the CPU.
Please also advise your TNAS model number.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scavenger_ro

Post by scavenger_ro »

Had the same issue when upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2 and the culprit was Google Drive Sync app.

I would recommend to just check what daemon sucks up that CPU power and go in reverse. (Google the process name and you should figure it out by yourself)
Simply uninstalling the problem app would fix the problem really quick.
F2-423 proudly running UnRaid
1x Verbatim Store 'n' Stay Nano USB 3.0 32GB (BOOT)
2x 16GB Kingston KVR32S22S8/16 RAM (blocked by Terramaster)
2x 512GB SSD Samsung 970 EVO, BTRFS cache Raid 1
2x 10TB WD White Labels Helium Drives, BTRFS Parrity + Data.
WhatIsThis

Post by WhatIsThis »

TMSupport wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 16:35 Yes, that's right. Please check at Control Panel, Resource Monitor, Process and take a screenshot to show us which process is occupying the CPU.
Please also advise your TNAS model number.
F5-221 so I believe it should be sufficient to run PLEX in the background when PLEX is not even being used.
Maybe there are some settings in plex that can help?

Here is a picture from the PLEX graph of the CPU.
sianderson wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 03:06 if you look at Control Panel, Resource Monitor, Process it will tell you what process is using the CPU, we could guess forever and a day and be wrong :)

although I have a cheaper model, my CPU sits at 3% with plex installed but no one watching any content from it, however plex does initially use a lot of processing power while it creates a library, downloads all the artwork, thumbnails etc
I have a f5-221 so I can't see why PLEX would be taking up so much of my CPU when it's just idling :)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Is it ok to let our engineer remotely check it for you? You can send an email to support(at)terra-master.com to confirm it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

If you don’t use Plex then uninstall it?

But I would imagine it may be configured to some data folders and this is it’s auto scan process looking for suitable video files, and you have added your main data directories as it’s library?
F2-210

Andersonda

Post by Andersonda »

I have a similar problem. as if I caught a virus.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.Please contact us as soon as possible.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

I had this issue a couple of days ago, uninstalling the Google Drive app solved the problem.

The CPU going to 100% really messed with things. I have Unifi controller running in a Docker container and my APs kept disconnecting until I uninstalled the Google Drive app.

Is the Google Drive app being worked on?