How can I install from console (and more)

Discussion of applications not mentioned above.
TM220user

How can I install from console (and more)

Post by TM220user »

Greetings all!

I'm about a decade removed from having ANYTHING to do with Linux, and being in the console, and at my age, the memory isn't helping matters. :lol:

I used to admin a CSS (gaming) server, but it was based on a CentOS install. I remember having to install SUDO, and Nano, etc., but I barely remember all the commands, and until I have access to my old notes, I've been trying to watch YT clips, as well as Goog-Fu my way through jarring the cobwebs loose.

I've had a few things I've noticed, and was hoping I could ask some of the more established Linux folks for a hand..

I know (been a lurker until now) that these are based on OpenWRT (new to me) thanks to posts here, *but*, I've also seen Debian referenced *somewhere* while I was exploring around in the console (SSH).

Do I look for Debian install pkgs then?
Or any particular distro's recommended?

Does apt-get apply still? Or is it another command in this OS?

Should I install SUDO first? Or is there something more pressing?

Second, what would the command be to change the following 'code'? (Pardon me for not remembering the proper term for the group user thingy referenced in the Pic.)

The 4 (in user acct: Dockem) is thanks to the 'allusers' account screwing with other (otherwise unrelated) accounts permissions settings. That 4 needs to be a 12 to be in the proper user account (group, whatever it is I'm forgetting at the moment lol).
Attachments
allusers.problem.jpg
allusers.problem.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
TM220user

Re: How can I install from console (and more)

Post by TM220user »

Just wanted to update my topic here a bit (since I can't delete it evidently)...

I've been able to start clearing out the cobwebs with a lot of reading, as well as time spent in console. (yay!)

And while I've managed to make a dent in the learning curve on installing via docker (in SSH), I've still got some questions for those who rely heavily on SSH (my preference).

I've been unable to find out/figure out how to install apt (to use the same "apt-get" command to install packages, that I am used to from using CentOS).
Either I'm not using the right search terms, or it's simply not possible with whatever flavor of *nix that TOS is running. I'm not opposed to learning new things obviously (Docker lol), but I'm not familiar with other calls to install apps *outside of* Docker in this heavily customized OS.

I did manage to get nano installed briefly, using a combination of aspects (using MaitreKuc's post on opkg and Entware.), but it wasn't a base level install. I also looked at outkastm's stuff (prepackaged tpm's that he/she's kindly put together via request)... But I'm more interested in installing packages at base level, using a traditional Tar or Tar.gz file (if possible).

If anyone knows the basic command to install packages (not for Docker, or opkg) I would appreciate it!
(I can always read up more on the command, and structure/usage later)

I also learned that SUDO is available by default on the last two (4.2.31 and 4.2.32) releases, where I couldn't find it on 4.1.18 (so that issue is solved).

I also got myself sorted WRT changing ownership etc with users and groups, as well as tailoring things (in docker at least) during the initial install, so there's that.

At any rate, I do understand that some users defer to caution when a newly registered user comes in, and asks really "basic" questions.
But by the same token, just being new to the see shouldn't facilitate being completely ignored either. lol

Sometimes, you are perfectly safe providing information to a newbie, to help shake the cobwebs loose. ;)

I also acknowledge that in large part, this forum doesn't seem to have an very active community. So apologies if I'm misreading the failure to reply to my previous post, as a result of simple inactivity. (I'm not used to a forum being THIS dead lol, especially with a month of no reply)

Regardless, it's starting to come back. But, I still am expecting the odd question to pop up here and there, if you wouldn't mind obliging me. =)
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Sometimes it's better to send an email directly to support(A)terra-master.com since the TM participants on this forum don't always pick up on every thread.

Following this because I'd like to see if there are any apps usable without Docker. I've never regularly run Linux systems (many other now extinct OS's) but prefer to have less levels of software on these low-performance CPUs.
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

titanrx8 wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 00:08 Following this because I'd like to see if there are any apps usable without Docker. I've never regularly run Linux systems (many other now extinct OS's) but prefer to have less levels of software on these low-performance CPUs.
I'll mention a couple of things that I've learned so far whilst twiddling about in my F2-220.

1st, running Plex in Docker appears to be far softer on the demands it puts on the hardware vs running it as a native TOS App install (aka a tpk file.)
I've had to reinstall Plex a few times over the past year (mostly on v4. 1.18), and each time, I would get *multiple* 90%+ CPU warnings as Plex was going through the initial setup routine (IDing files, scanning for intro skip points in TV shows, etc).
With this last install (in Docker), I only received 1 90% CPU notice during the almost 24hrs it took to scan my files. That was pretty telling to me. Granted, I'm on 4.2.3x this time, but I highly doubt that they've made that much improvement in load management in the TOS (OpenWrt OS).

2nd, would be to mention that if you haven't stumbled into the dev section of the site here, it will open up *some* additional possibilities (as far as apps to run), thanks in large part to user: outkastm!!
He/she's been very kind to donate their time and efforts towards recompiling some packages into the native ".tpk" file type that TerraMaster uses. (paying attention of course to whether you need the arm variant, or the x86_64)

I'd also suggest looking into MaitreKuc's post on Entware (formerly Optware) and opkg. This is the "native installer" to OpenWrt. There's a bit of a learning curve there too, but it does open up a few other possibilities. (need to read up more about Entware though)

Learned quite a bit about opkg at the following:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/add ... tware/opkg
Though I still need to read through another time or two, to let it all sink in.

Wishing you success!
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

One thing I need to correct you. OpenWRT is a great system, especially in the area of routers, OpenWrt is especially popular. There's nothing to be ashamed of learning experience from OpenWRT. But I need to tell you the truth. TOS is indeed a Linux system built with Buildroot, it is not based on OpenWRT, TOS uses a Linux kernel, a customized bootloader & root file system.

Let's talk about the TNAS 210 ARM series, this is a different story, this series uses a CPU from Realtek 1296, Since most ARM hardware platforms are not universal, Realtek 1296 too, some underlying libraries are provided by Realtek, and these libraries rely more on OpenWRT resources. In this case, you can say the 210 ARM series is based on OpenWRT.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Others”