Write speed

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
mhegyi

Write speed

Post by mhegyi »

I have a D5-300 with 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB SATA drives arranges in a RAID 5 configuration. What should my expected write speeds be? I'm currently seeing 200 MB/s read speeds, but only 1-7 MB/s write speeds.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Write speed

Post by TMzethar »

May I ask what type and size of the file is written?
You can refer to this page for normal speed, about 220MB/s(R/W)
https://www.terra-master.com/global/pro ... 5-300.html
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
eltonwisk

Re: Write speed

Post by eltonwisk »

if applied correctly and against a suitable I/O profile, will provide one of the most cost-effective forms of protection available while affording the volumes it is servicing I/O performance equivalent to required needs.

Through distributing an addressable parity bit across each of the physical disks within the RAID group, the group can recover from the failure of a single disk by reading the parity storage data from each of the remaining disks and applying an algorithm against it to rebuild to a replacement disk.

So, how much overhead do you incur in the implementation of RAID 5 configuration? Simply put, when sizing a RAID 5 group, allow for the total amount of disks you need to suit your capacity needs + 1.

An example is given below:

Total required usable capacity = 750Gb
Size of drives available = 300Gb
Number of drives required for RAID 5 group = 4x300Gb drives (3+1)
Total usable capacity = 900Gb

The total usable disk capacity of a given drive is very rarely equivalent to the total marketed capacity of that drive, due to engineering overheads present on each disk.

Return to “USB Series”