D2-310 RAID 1 not working as expected

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
ian54

D2-310 RAID 1 not working as expected

Post by ian54 »

I have a new D2-310 loaded with two 2Tb drives.

I attempted to initialise it as RAID 1, this was when attached to a Windows 10 machine.

In the Disk Management in Windows 10, I would expect to see a _single_ 2Tb disk ready for initialisation/formatting, but instead I see two independent 2Tb disks.

I can initialise the disks as a mirrored volume in Windows 10 but this is the software solution, I was expecting it to be a hardware solution independent of the OS.

Using RAID 0 or JBOD I see a single 4Tb disk.

Am I missing something here?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: D2-310 RAID 1 not working as expected

Post by TMSupport »

It's Single mode as default.
The correct way to configure RAID 1 is as follows:
Turn on the device and your computer;
Rotate the RAID switch as the back of the device to the RAID mode you want;
Press and hold the Reset button for about 5 seconds to make the configuration to be effective;
A new in-allocated disk will appear on your computer, please get it initialized to use it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ian54

Post by ian54 »

I followed those instructions:

Turn on device and computer.
Rotate switch to RAID 1.
Press reset for 5 seconds.

The computer still shows _two_ separate disks at 2Tb each, exactly like Single mode.

If I choose RAID 0 or JBOD it shows _one_ disk at 4Tb, this indicates the disk must be working.

For RAID 1 I should see only _one_ 2Tb disk, but I see _two_ 2Tb disks, and they are separate not mirrored.

This is on both a Windows 10 machine and a Linux machine.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please send an email to support(at)terra-master.com with the description and order number, we will check whether a new replacement is available for you.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ian54

Post by ian54 »

If you can confirm that it needs replacing I can do this using Amazon instead
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Yes, it needs to be replaced.
RickyD

Post by RickyD »

I too was having two drives show up as my RAID array. It started happening late 2019 and I had just been accessing the first drive letter that I came to. I noticed that the second drive letter from my RAID array was not updating and was several GB behind the first one. Today I was reading some of the information on this site and it suggested that I hold in the reset butting for 5 sec and it would show as a single drive again. I tried that and it insisted that I initialize the array which I did. Then it came up with an unallocated drive that looks as though nothing is on it. Is there a way to retrieve my data from one of these drives?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

As long as D2-310 switches the array and presses the reset button, all data on the hard disk will be cleared. It is recommended to find a professional data recovery company to recover data.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @

Return to “USB Series”