Increasing RAID1disk sizes in D5-300C

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
ianpiper

Increasing RAID1disk sizes in D5-300C

Post by ianpiper »

I am running low on disk space on my D5-300C in the RAID array from the disks in bays 1 and 2. I want to replace the 4 TB disks with 8 TB or larger disks. I can't find explicit instructions on this in the manual or here, so I'm asking for guidance. Would this sequence of actions work?
  • Backup the RAID to a separate disk
  • Power the unit down
  • Replace the 4 TB disk in bay 1 with an 8 TB disk
  • Power up and leave the disks to mirror
  • Power down again and replace bay 2 disk with an 8 TB disk
  • Power up and leave the disks to mirror again
Would it be feasible to hot-swap disks (that is, remove a disk and replace it while powered on)?

Thanks for any guidance.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Increasing RAID1disk sizes in D5-300C

Post by TMzethar »

If you are using an array, unfortunately, you can only backup the data first and then rebuild them with new hard drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ianpiper

Post by ianpiper »

TMzethar wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 21:47 If you are using an array, unfortunately, you can only backup the data first and then rebuild them with new hard drives.
Thanks for the quick reply. That is more or less what I was expecting to do. But it would be good to know whether I can hot-swap the disks or whether I can only swap them while the unit is powered down (I realise that I can only replace one at a time).

Thanks,

Ian.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, this won't work, even if you replace all disks with 8T. The only way is to rebuild it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
krlex

Post by krlex »

This was a very useful thread.

I am in the process of transferring a data backup to the new sized (larger) RAID 1 storage.

It would be a very nice feature for your next product that the data could be transferred within the D5-300C rather than having to use the host though the USB interface; or allow for the resizing of of a RAID 1 even if it has to happen in 2 RAID rebuilding cycles.

Return to “USB Series”