FAQs and instructions only for USB series raid storage
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Precautions when using TerraMaster D5-300

Post by TMroy »

Precautions

Applicable models: D5-300

If you are a new user of TerraMaster USB device D5-300, please pay attention to the following subjects:

1. Do not remove your hard drive while it is being accessed;

2. This device does not support hot swap. Therefore, before you replace a hard drive, please safely eject the device from your computer every time;

3. Before you turn off your device or disconnect it from your computer, be sure to remove it and eject it safely. Otherwise, there is a risk of data loss;

4. When you turn off your computer, hibernate your computer, eject the USB device, or remove the USB connection, the device will automatically enter hibernation; When you access the hard disk or reconnect the USB device, the device will cancel hibernation.

5. IMPORTANT: The device supports hot spare disk feature. Once you have created a RAID, all the independent drives will be treated as hot spare disks. Once your RAID has a hard drive failure, the independent drive will be added to the RAID as a spare disk, and all data on your independent drive will be lost. Do not store data in the independent drive!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
huckleberry

Re: Precautions when using TerraMaster D5-300

Post by huckleberry »

Hello,

If I understand correctly, the hot spare feature is non-negotiable when using RAID. If I am in RAID 1 and I have a drive (with data on it) in port 5 and one of my RAID disks fails, the device will AUTOMATICALLY delete my port 5 data and establish it as a RAID 1 drive?

Is this correct?

I have the D5-300C, perhaps this only applies to the 300?

Thanks
hazza26

Post by hazza26 »

Even after ejecting all the drives and unplugging the USB cord, the disks do not spin down. When I take out one of the trays I can feel the drive head wobbling about. This is obviously very precarious for disk longevity. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Perhaps the disks spin down after a longer period of time?
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

hazza26 wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 05:29 Even after ejecting all the drives and unplugging the USB cord, the disks do not spin down. When I take out one of the trays I can feel the drive head wobbling about. This is obviously very precarious for disk longevity. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Perhaps the disks spin down after a longer period of time?
Why not after properly shutting down your system, simply disconnect the power cord to the D5-300? Your drives will certainly be powered down then.