D5 300c (single mode) won't let me copy between disks

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
fred

D5 300c (single mode) won't let me copy between disks

Post by fred »

Hi,
I have a cosy problem with my D5 300c
When I try to copy content from a disk to another one (for example frome HDD1 to HDD 3, 4 or 5), it doesn't work if the file is over 1Go
I can copy between HDD1 and HDD2 without any problem, but not from HHD1 or 2 to the other disks.
Same problem if I put the system to RAID 0.

How can I fix that?
wot76

Re: D5 300c (single mode) won't let me copy between disks

Post by wot76 »

Hi Fred,

Could you elude to the problem? I have been trying to use a D5-300c with a Lenovo M73Q Gen 2 think centre. I have already had Lenovo change the mainboard given that I had challenges copying to/from the device, the M73Q gen 2 is now in a lenovo depot and they are unable to fault the device, however like you I am unable to copy from 1 disk to another nor even able to copy to the drives from the think centre.

Interestingly the problem is not there as far as I can tell when using a Dell laptop / desktop etc..

I tried with fresh installs of Windows 10 and 11 to no avail.
fred

Post by fred »

I'm a running a brand new gamer type PC.
I didn't try another PC but why not, I'll tell you
wot76

Post by wot76 »

Hi Fred,

How are you getting on? My think centre is still with the lenovo engineering depot. They are stating there is nothing wrong with my Thinkcentre, ran all kinds of tests and are stating that they cannot guarantee every usb accessoire out there in the world will work.. I am just wondering if there is actually an issue with our terramaster.
Aj12345678

Post by Aj12345678 »

There is - The logic board inside of the unit is at fault. It's crashing during heavy I/O operates - fine under low load but toast if you try to copy between disks. Seems likely that it can't cope with the amount of data flooding through it. All the responses from the moderators/team point fingers at the system, but this is happening on every device I've tested it on.

Any way the team / mods could post successful results of them attempting the same thing??

3x 4Gb files copied from drive 1 to drive 3 and 5 simultaneously, and what the hey throw in drive 3 as well. Could they post results back here to show 1) how long it took and 2) if it completed successfully or not.

KR
AJ
Aj12345678

Post by Aj12345678 »

Oh, also forgot to mention, that as you had also described in another post, the only way to recover and access the data on the drives again is by restarting the unit. Please note I have also tried this on 2x TerraMaster D5-300C units and the result is the exact same on both. Disks unmount from OS after crash, get remounted automagically but are unreadable, requires hard reboot on TM D5-300C unit itself.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We did not reproduce the situation you encountered, which may also be related to the compatibility of the hard drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
splitfinity

Post by splitfinity »

I am having the same issue. Going to try and put a powered USB hub in the middle as suggested in the linus heavy IO thread at the top of the board.

Can not copy larger files between 2 drives in the 300c. Completely locks up the device. Brand new 300c. Files are bewtween 1.4GB and 10GB each. Brand new drives as well.
e6SBylizVXn4

Post by e6SBylizVXn4 »

This worked for me when seeing the same types of error messages: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=5830&sid=da6d3e2f8 ... 96082cb754

I think these devices need a good powered usb port, I solved my problems with a powered usb c hub in between my pc and the device

Worked for me, stable after two weeks with strenuous testing (full scrubs and large copies with large and small files)