D5-300C couple of issues

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
Andrastronaut

D5-300C couple of issues

Post by Andrastronaut »

Hi All,

I bought a Terra Master D5-300C, using 2 new hard drives in Raid (mirroring) and others as single drives. I noticed that when I first started to copy stuff on it both HDD 1 & HDD 2 LEDs were blinking. I noticed now a day and 1TB of copy later that that only HDD2 is blinking during activity (read or write) , HDD 1 is solid green. There are no strange things visible in disk utility, I don't see any volumes hanging in the middle of nowhere without being formatted / mounted...etc. So I assume the RAID works? Would I be able to remove all the disks, check the raid ones individually in the single bay slots if there is data on both or would this break the RAID array? Is there any way to check the health of both disks...etc?

The second issue is:
I have an iMac late 2011 model with a Thunderbolt Station 2 (TS2) from Caldigit. This provides USB3.0 ports among others. Never had issues connecting any hard drives to this, had it for over 3 years now probably. When connecting the D5-300C the RAID is not mounting to the system (at all) the single disks are all fine, mounting and working. WHY?
The RAID works fine when connected direct to the iMac USB ports but then I only get USB2.0 speeds.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 07.34.31.png
Andrastronaut

Re: D5-300C couple of issues

Post by Andrastronaut »

Right, I could not wait any longer, so removed all the drives, rebooted the computer and inserted Disk 2 in bay 3 as individual disk and I could see all the files, no issues. Then switched off, inserted Disk 1 in bay 3 as an individual disk and I could see about half of the files. There were folders visible which I could not enter so I think somewhere along the line the raid stopped working and did not copy on both disks. I put everything back as it was, all the disks including RAID got mounted OK, Disk 1 is flashing orange, Disk 2 is flashing green. I can access all files on RAID.

Does this mean the RAID array is re-building itself now?

Thanks,
Andras
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Hi, we are not sure what happened to your device.
From your information, I think you are right, the device is rebuilding RAID now.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
VJVis

Post by VJVis »

@Andrastronaut I did the same thing to check if the RAID was working. I inserted the invisible drive into a single slot and could access all the files and then when I reinserted it into the Raid 1 slot the orange was flashing for a quite a while, but it is green now and it most likely was either rebuilding or validating the files to ensure it is a clone. It works great.