Idle drives keep turning on and off TerraMaster D5-300C

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
vr84

Idle drives keep turning on and off TerraMaster D5-300C

Post by vr84 »

Hi, I just bought another HDD enclosure, the TerraMaster D5-300C. I already have a D2-310. I noticed on the D5-300C that when the computer or drives are left idle, they will shut down, but then no less than 1 minute later they will fire back up again.

I've tried turning off all sleep settings in Windows 10 for USB and HDD, this didn't change anything. Ideally I would prefer if they could remain on permanently which is something my D2-310 did when I turned off all USB and HDD sleep settings, but it's not happening for this drive.

Even with sleep settings turned on, the D5-300C does not sleep, it continually cycles between shut down and start up mode.

Any help on why this is happening?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Idle drives keep turning on and off TerraMaster D5-300C

Post by TMSupport »

vr84 wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 08:33 I noticed on the D5-300C that when the computer or drives are left idle, they will shut down, but then no less than 1 minute later they will fire back up again.

Even with sleep settings turned on, the D5-300C does not sleep, it continually cycles between shut down and start up mode.
Do you mean the device cycles power off and on? Or is the hard drive cycling active and inactive?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, sorry the drives shut down and go inactive then less than 1 minute later they start up and become active again.

I'd prefer it to stay either in a longer inactive mode until something happens on that computer (the computer is idle 90% of the day unused), or stay active always, as it's distracting having them cycle like this every few minutes.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Any updates on why the drive keeps going active then inactive every few minutes?

Also there has been some storage issues with files I moved from my main computer hard drive to this D5. The end of some files did not save completely, but they registered as fully saved at the time they were moved. Unsure if it's related.
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}vr84
Please refer to this article for settings. viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3840
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, I've done this already, it's not working.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Does the hard disk sleep after eject the d5-300c safely?
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, no it says it can't eject because the current device is already in use. But I am not using the drive, it's just idle on an empty desktop.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Even when I wait for the drives to go inactive, I still can't eject. It keeps saying they are in use.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

I have some good news, the problem was a HGST brand hard drive in the device.

When I removed this and switched to a regular WD Red drive (Not the HGST / Ultrastar range) it all began to work perfectly.

All good and operating as normal now, I was never happy with the HGST drive anyway, it was very noisy and sometimes had storage issues (as mentioned in my previous post) so no great loss throwing that one away.

Device is good and reliable now, no data issues, no eject issues, no noise.