D5-300C - fan control

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
DrizztSama

D5-300C - fan control

Post by DrizztSama »

Hi,

I am trying to control fans in my D5-300C on my RaspberryPi 4. Could you please advise of the way to do it? It seems that fans are on their full blast and noise is unbearable. Can I actually control them from the OS, or are enclosure fans controlled independently from some internal sensor?

I am running Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye x64).

I am 100% that's the fans that generate the noise, because the noise doesn't change when I remove all drives from the DAS.

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5-300C - fan control

Post by TMSupport »

Please send a video of the device running without a hard disk?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DrizztSama

Post by DrizztSama »

Hi,

I noticed that I need to have at least a single HDD in for the fans to spin. I recorded the video with a single SSD and this is what I have got in terms of decibels:

Here is the video recording:
https://youtu.be/LKSXmEW4Yzk
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}DrizztSama

the fan seems something wrong. Please contact our service team for warranty service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DrizztSama

Post by DrizztSama »

Thank you for the feedback.

I will need to return it via Amazon and order a new one. I am not too keen on that.

Do you know if there is a way that I could upgrade the fans myself? The price difference between the Black Friday deal and now is £40, so I would prefer to spend it on upgrading the fans myself rather than returning the item and buying it again at higher price. Unless this could be something internal with the enclosure and not the fans?
DrizztSama

Post by DrizztSama »

What I have learned from the internet, is that enclosure is using 2x SNOWFAN YY8025L 12S for cooling.
These 80mm by 25mm fans which use 12v.

The PCB is using Jst Xh 2.54mm 3 Pin connector to power on the fans.

Based on the above if I order these cables:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SNPF2C? ... DBS2BSJEDR

and solder them with these fans:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... I2JQ&psc=1

Everything should work just fine.
Any thoughts?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The fan attached to the device is customized, and the pins of the fan you bought are different, and generally you need to change the pins to use it. If you want to replace the fan yourself, please contact our online customer service to obtain the pin parameters.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)