Drive unreachable after PC left idle for a few hours

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
vr84

Drive unreachable after PC left idle for a few hours

Post by vr84 »

Hi, I'm running a D2-310 on an Intel NUC 6 with Windows 10, and whenever the drive is left idle for a few hours and windows signs out and into sleep mode, when I re-login the drive is shown, but either unreachable or is able to very very slowly browse folders but not open any files.

I've tried disabling sleep mode on HDD's in Windows 10, I've also removed the sleep mode on USB devices, but it's still happening.

Any tips of what I might be missing here to get the drive to remain active 24/7.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Drive unreachable after PC left idle for a few hours

Post by TMroy »

Does the device come back to normal and responsive after you unplug and replug in the USB cable to your computer?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, I'll try unplugging the USB only next time it happens, I've been turning the device itself off then on again for it to come back.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, unplugging then plugging back in the USB cable only does not recover the drive, it just makes the drive disappear entirely. Turning the actual device off then on brings it back.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Any update on how to resolve this?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

At the moment we do not have a solution. We think it may be a compatibility issue, when your drives fall into sleep, the enclosure not able to wake it up. What is your drive model? are you able to try different drives? Such an issue is relatively rare.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, the drives are the same ones I had in my previous D2-310 before it was swapped for warranty. The drives are both Western Digital Red NAS 4 TB Internal 5400 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive -WD40EFRX NAS.

The Intel NUC 6 machine however is new and only started using it recently. I will try running the drive on my old PC and see if there is any similar issues, that might be the best way to know if it's happening from the NUC machine or Windows install on the NUC.

I'll update you once I have time to swap it over and test.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Happening on both computers. It's odd because my last D2-310 before the warranty exchange was using these same hard drives and it was able to come out of sleep mode fine.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Only solution I found to this is remove all sleep modes completely across windows, the monitor still puts itself into sleep mode without windows help, so not really an issue keeping windows awake, but would be if I was in a co-working environment as windows doesn't ask for a pin again on screen return.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I have the same problem. Have you been able to solve it?